1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hearthside Pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by IHATEPROPANE, Oct 2, 2012.

1. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Has anybody tries these yet. Made in Fitchburg MA. I grabbed three bags at Lowes today and will be testing them out right after my full hopper empties. They were next to Infernos....I hope that is not a bad omen....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thedude110

thedude110 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Did a quick search and it looks like people have been talking about Hearthsides around here since '08, but no one has provided any feedback on them. Maybe they're unremarkable?

Let us know what you think!
  3. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    i bought 3 bags today from a small local dealer along with some maine's choice and north americans . i'm a newbie with only a week up and running with hd fireside ultras . 'twill be interesting trying some different pellets .

interested on any ones feedback on these .

cheers Woody
  4. IHATEPROPANE

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    These are in the hopper right now....first impression is they look ok no long pellets a little too many small pieces....a little dusty. I will see how these three bags burn and see how they compare ti some other box store stuff. 2012-10-28_11-54-00_866.jpg
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Good photo, Some of the pellets don't look like they are compressed enough. Almost no shinny glaze on the outside. I see the dust stuck to your fingers.

Keep us posted!
  6. IHATEPROPANE

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I think you are right about compression. Could use a little more density. That being said I was not expecting much from these but am pleasantly surprised. My unscientific heat rating would put these in the shoulder category...the ash however was better than I expected....bag says less than 0.6% and I think it is right...less ash than NEWP, Curran blend, MWP and Maines Choice in my stove..I would definitely buy more.
  7. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Interesting, Sounds like they are worth a search just to try them. ;)
  8. IHATEPROPANE

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Yeah if you come across them they are definitely worth a try. I was very skeptical when I saw the video of the plant running. I thought they would be more along the lines of Inferno.....guess that's why we try them.....as a side note my wife yelled at me when she saw them...same old "don't we have enough ".....
    jtakeman likes this.
  9. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I just ask my better half "is it warm in here?" She will just says "yes" and walks away! ==c
  10. matrix225

matrix225 New Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I just picked up 2 tons at the local Aubuchon's Hardware and I'm disappointed to say that 4 bags were 25% sawdust. and there was visible moisture between the layers of bags. There was a tag showing the date packaged as 5/2013 so they were only 4 months old. Looks like the quality control needs some improvement.
  11. IHATEPROPANE

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    That's too bad. Unfortunately sometimes pallets are not wrapped good enough for outside storage. If wrapped correctly they should stay dry. I would see if Aubuchons will give you some money back.
  12. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    remember all that rain we had this spring/early summer ? i'd be dumping one of those bags on their counter and demanding my money back .
  13. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    burned 10 bags last winter, nothing to write home about, alright heat, very ashy, got a clinker but that may have more to due with the lack of cleaning than the pellet, stove was a mess when I put them in, but they didn't help
  14. Cheeks

Cheeks Member

Loc:
    MA
    I recently bought 10 bags at lowes for about $4.20 each. They still say <=.6% ash, and "high btu" but doesnt specify exact btu. As a newbie i've only used Green Supreme so far, so that is my only comparison.

I would say Hearthside stacks up pretty well. I don't notice any difference in the ash and it feels as if they are kicking out just as much heat. OVerall i'm impressed for the price relative to GS.

Two complaints though: the pellets are not vacuum packed and the plastic seems thin. So there were many small holes in the bag. The guy at lowes gave me a discount on some bags with holes to get rid of them. Also, the pellet size seems to vary quite a bit. There are a ton of tiny pellets (as long as they are wide) and then there are some that might be close to an inch.