Hearthstone 1 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, fond memories!

I grew up with this stove since I was 2 years old. In fact, my dad just replaced his after 31 years with a Progress Hybrid last winter. Of course, I got to help move it down a flight and a half of stairs. After moving the PH up a flight and a half of stairs, it wasn't too bad.

His had draft issues since day one. Had to leave the door cracked for a good while at first, and then there is no manual draft control other than closing the damper. It has a bi-metallic draft control that is supposed to work. The secondary manifold was a fun gimic for the first couple months that it sort-of worked.

Now I feel like an A-hole. The truth is that this stove kept my family warm for the majority of my life and I will always have love for it. His is for sale if anyone is interested. It will definitely heat your home!

Sounds like weak draft. My friends is on about a 20 ft straight up flue. It draws pretty well with no smoke spilling and the thermostat seems to regulate ok.

Ah, fond memories!

I grew up with this stove since I was 2 years old. In fact, my dad just replaced his after 31 years with a Progress Hybrid last winter. Of course, I got to help move it down a flight and a half of stairs. After moving the PH up a flight and a half of stairs, it wasn't too bad.

His had draft issues since day one. Had to leave the door cracked for a good while at first, and then there is no manual draft control other than closing the damper. It has a bi-metallic draft control that is supposed to work. The secondary manifold was a fun gimic for the first couple months that it sort-of worked.

Now I feel like an A-hole. The truth is that this stove kept my family warm for the majority of my life and I will always have love for it. His is for sale if anyone is interested. It will definitely heat your home!

How much? That should only cost about $1000 to ship.

Sounds like weak draft. My friends is on about a 20 ft straight up flue. It draws pretty well with no smoke spilling and the thermostat seems to regulate ok.​

Well, his draft works fine with the PH. I think his particular stove might have had issues. The first one he got cracked in the bottom with the first fire. After going around and around with Hearthstone, he got another one. So, move the massive rock back down and another back up. Keep in mind, this was in winter and our only heat source. After that, I think he just lived with it. It actually did work fine, just never seemed "right".

How much? That should only cost about $1000 to ship

Well, if you ever happen to be in northern Michigan with 3 to 6 burly friends, we'll help you load it! ;)

Well, his draft works fine with the PH. I think his particular stove might have had issues. The first one he got cracked in the bottom with the first fire. After going around and around with Hearthstone, he got another one. So, move the massive rock back down and another back up. Keep in mind, this was in winter and our only heat source. After that, I think he just lived with it. It actually did work fine, just never seemed "right".​
Well, if you ever happen to be in northern Michigan with 3 to 6 burly friends, we'll help you load it! ;)
That stove was the greatest stove I've ever experienced.It heated my cousin's ski lodge for a whole weekend with just one fire.We were so hot we went outside in sub zero temps just to cool off.Inside we were in tee shirts and shorts.No stove that I've experience comes close to the "1".

That stove was the greatest stove I've ever experienced.It heated my cousin's ski lodge for a whole weekend with just one fire.We were so hot we went outside in sub zero temps just to cool off.Inside we were in tee shirts and shorts.No stove that I've experience comes close to the "1".

You are saying a Mansfield doesn't stack up to the Hearthstone 1? It's only about a 25% decrease in firebox size versus the 1

You are saying a Mansfield doesn't stack up to the Hearthstone 1? It's only about a 25% decrease in firebox size versus the 1
I like my Mansfield however it's a child compared to the "1".If I could find a good "1" I'd move the Mansfield in a heartbeat,well only if I had a serious plan to be able to move both stoves.

Well, yeah. It's been mentioned that the Hearthstone I has a 4.4 cu ft firebox with no burn tubes to get in the way. That means it's larger than the Equinox.

Well, yeah. It's been mentioned that the Hearthstone I has a 4.4 cu ft firebox with no burn tubes to get in the way. That means it's larger than the Equinox.

My question with the 1 is how clean it burns without those burn tubes? And does it use more wood than an Equinox. Otherwise, they should be comparable in size.

My question with the 1 is how clean it burns without those burn tubes? And does it use more wood than an Equinox. Otherwise, they should be comparable in size.
Being a pre-EPA stove it will burn dirtier than a modern stove.

It would also be less efficient than a modern stove as well. I do not know how it would compare to the Equinox, though, in terms of wood usage.

I have a brother using this stove. We have been estranged for several years, or I would be able to ask him that question. I know it's a heat monster.

Cool looking stove. I also like the granite slab. That gives me an idea for my basement stove thanks

It's not the cleanest stove, but does have a single burn tube mounted low in the firebox. The stove eats a fair amount of wood, but in turn does heat pretty well. Our friend place has a huge amount of north facing glass and the stove keeps it comfortable in there.

Hi Guys!

So, I finally got my stove installed and all set. Thought I would share with everybody what I did...

I really like the way the fire looks from the front. The glass they put in is frosted kind of and it makes the stove look spooky as the fire dances around.

So, here are a few pix of what it looks like installed. Thanks for the help on here guys!
Wow, those are some nice wide pine boards on your wall in the first picture!

I don't know about the H1 but all the current Hearthstones true fire box sizes are not even close to what they state in their lit.

It has 1 Secondary Burn Tube. It seems to burn moderately clean. It's not a modern EPA Stove. But, I'll live with a slightly less clean burn in trade for it's Massive Heat Output. The Firebox is 4.5 Cubic Feet and I have run it with 4 Logs (Half Full) and I swear it like a major heat furnace with only that much wood in it...A big difference from our stove we had last year.

Cool looking stove. I also like the granite slab. That gives me an idea for my basement stove thanks

Thanks very much! Our house is always a work in progress...

I don't know about the H1 but all the current Hearthstones true fire box sizes are not even close to what they state in their lit.

To me there is a Big Difference in the Original Hearthstone 1, 2 and 3 versus the newer stoves. I REALLY like the Newer Hearthstones, but I found out when dealing with them about this H1 that the Original People who hand built these in Vermont, sold the company. The original 1, 2 and 3 definitely have a lot of style that I don't see in the newer ones...Still the Equinox, Mansfield all of the new one's are GREAT Stoves.

Reactions: firecracker_77
To me there is a Big Difference in the Original Hearthstone 1, 2 and 3 versus the newer stoves. I REALLY like the Newer Hearthstones, but I found out when dealing with them about this H1 that the Original People who hand built these in Vermont, sold the company. The original 1, 2 and 3 definitely have a lot of style that I don't see in the newer ones...Still the Equinox, Mansfield all of the new one's are GREAT Stoves.

what stove did you previously use?

what stove did you previously use?

We had an Arrow stove by heatilator. It was a good stove for it's size. That stove looked alot like a Lopi Liberty, just not quite as big. The Lopi Liberty is a serious heater. The stove we had put out some good heat, but didn't quite fully do it for the upstairs as well.

When I put in this stove, my buddy that does HVAC work recommended that I put in 2 Big Air Vents on the wall at the top of the ceiling to feed the heat upstairs. I did that this weekend and man did that make a big difference too. The H1 stays warm for so long it keeps the house warm for hours even after the fire has went out and with the air vents, the upstairs seemed like we have Central Heat goin' even though it's just the big stove downstairs heating it.

Hard to tell with such a warm winter last winter, but my dad was burning way less wood and getting steadier heat (less cycles) after switching to the Progress. He used to burn about 3.5 cords a year with the H1, and we'll see this year what he burns with the PH.

Hard to tell with such a warm winter last winter, but my dad was burning way less wood and getting steadier heat (less cycles) after switching to the Progress. He used to burn about 3.5 cords a year with the H1, and we'll see this year what he burns with the PH.

That's an awesome stove your dad has. I am sure it will burn less wood being that it is the top EPA efficient stove. The H1 isn't perfect, and is older technology. So, far though I can't complain. I load it with (4) 14-16" Beech Logs and it burns for around 12 + Hours. After the fire goes out the stoves stones are still hot for hours and radiating heat. I didn't haven't to pay very much for it, and it seems to be doing the job. From what I have read though, that stove your pop has is really something special.

That's an awesome stove your dad has. I am sure it will burn less wood being that it is the top EPA efficient stove. The H1 isn't perfect, and is older technology. So, far though I can't complain. I load it with (4) 14-16" Beech Logs and it burns for around 12 + Hours. After the fire goes out the stoves stones are still hot for hours and radiating heat. I didn't haven't to pay very much for it, and it seems to be doing the job. From what I have read though, that stove your pop has is really something special.

Yeah, I know I've sounded negative here but I really do have lots of love for the H1. As I said, I grew up with it. My sister and I used to get dressed on the hearth right in front of it in the morning when we were toddlers since our back bedrooms were chilly in the morning! And, it really is a heating beast too. After 31 (I think) years, dad was wanting to get more efficient and cut less wood. Otherwise, he'd still be using the H1. That and I think he was a tad jealous that I was getting a new stove. ;)

After growing up with the Hearthstone, when it came time for me to replace the crap stove that came with the house I bought, I knew I didn't want anything besides soapstone. Having a big hot rock in my living room just seems right to me. That you got a good deal on it and it's working for you is great! Can't beat that. I also agree that while the new hearthstones are pretty sweet, there is something about the originals that is timeless.

Someone on here earlier was looking for a stove that big. Cant remember who.

Jags was looking for a 4.0 cu.ft. cast iron catalytic stove. Could you be thinking of that thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.