Hearthstone 2 modification idea sharing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsljim

Oct 28, 2012
WNY
A friend just ordered a Woodstock Progress , I just replaced my cookstove with a Hearthstone 2, 360° on the top is great for lots of cooking, but, some things need more heat, especially popcorn!
Another thing is if I use a set on top oven I don't know if it would get hot enuf to bake breads or pizza.
I've replaced the melted cast iron baffles with stainless( seemed like a good use for a Hardy outdoor stove ) hung in an inconell screen over the fire, that thing is glowing red hot and seems to be burning all the smoke for me.
The one I'm using today was built in 1987, but I have an earlier one with the flip down ash door, I'll be switching to that one soon, the top stones are already loose so that one will get the cast cooktop.
Curious if anyone has experimented with their secondary air tube? My early stove has 6 holes and the later one has 4, it also had a large square hole in the upper baffle, I thought it may have started life as a catalytic stove? But what I've read they weren't till a couple years later. The newer stove also has had something bolted underneath the bottom rear with 4 - 1/4 inch stainless bolts, does anyone know what that might have been?

The flip down doors tend not to close as reliasbly as the turn-and-lock ones, and can be a real overfiring problem. Do what you want, but watch for that.

Big square hole in baffle was indeed to accomodate a cat., and it may be the baffle was replaced at some point. They had like a universal replacement one for a while so you could have the cat. or use a cast insert if you didn't have the cat.

The thing aroung back MAY have ben for a gas unit that was an option for a while. I've only seen like one ever, and it's just too wierd to comprehend...

That's all I know, I think! Graham "the Stoveman"

The flip down door has more of a can action, like HS Tarm doors that I've used for years
Both of my stoves have been used as forges to melt the internal cast iron parts, this last one the guy said he had a hard time controlling the fire, no sign of a seal ever being on the ash drawer,and he said he never opened the secondary air control, probably wouldn't have helped anyway, with the 8×8" hole directly above it.

Status
Not open for further replies.