1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hearthstone Build Quality?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lumbering on, May 11, 2013.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Looking much better. Nice to have no R requirement for the hearth too. Good moves.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    They've got a brown one in a shop here; That is one sweet-lookin' piece. :cool:

I noticed a bit of slop in the hinges on SIL's Fireview, probably fifteen years old. Also looked like it had a hinge pin that wasn't OEM. I put a bigger pin in and that helped. I think I'll rub some pencil lead on my Woodstock hinges from time to time...
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    If my memory is correct, that last time we looked at new stoves, Hearthstone was the first one we looked at. The do have some beautiful stoves.
  4. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    Yeah, it looks like they went with an industrial-strength latch for the beautiful new Manchester. Hopefully, this is a good design that will trickle into the other stoves.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hearthstone-manchester.108690/

HS vs. WS. . .clearly I am biased, but I have a few impressions to share, FWIW. It be that there are simply more HS stoves out there, but it seems like more of the reports of cracked stones involve HS than WS, and the WS designs seem to be more fail-safe. HS uses single 1.5"-thick stones. WS uses double-wall 1.0" + 0.75" stone on the older models. The PH uses a steel firebox with stone attached inside and out, so any cracks in the stone would have no effect on function, AFAIK.

Also, it seems like a few HS owners have issues with losing heat up the flue, so they run a flue damper. . .it may just be coincidence that several HS owners have tall chimneys and need a damper, but this does seem to me to be more common with HS installs.
  5. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    This is my only problem with my Mansfield running on a 15 ft chimney. But I still love her even with duck feet.
  6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    My heritage dumped copious amounts of heat up the flue. Air shut off cruise for overnight burn would easily be at 800 internal flue temps. Frequently ran the flue temps up past 1000. Pretty ridiculous. That said, the dang thing performed per the specs so I blame most of that flue heat on the non-cat design in general.