Hearthstone Clydesdale anyone have one about to possibly pull the trigger on one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed one in Brown enamel a few months back. It was beautiful! It is very high quality, a huge improvement over the old clydesdale and it has a much beefier handle than other hearthstones, like the Equinox.

What are you expectations for the stove?

Speaking in regards to the "old" Clydesdale, I love it. Going into my 5th year with it. I don't know that much changed with the firebox construction in the new Clydesdale, but the old one does a great job of putting out a nice even heat for my 2,000 sqft home. And the "new" one does look nice and has some nice improvements to the door latch and blower set up.

Most people say that they're a bit pricey, which maybe they are, but i think they're worth it and if you can get a deal on it I'd say go for it!

Happy burning

Speaking in regards to the "old" Clydesdale, I love it. Going into my 5th year with it. I don't know that much changed with the firebox construction in the new Clydesdale, but the old one does a great job of putting out a nice even heat for my 2,000 sqft home. And the "new" one does look nice and has some nice improvements to the door latch and blower set up.

Most people say that they're a bit pricey, which maybe they are, but i think they're worth it and if you can get a deal on it I'd say go for it!

Happy burning
The blower and the handle was mainly what I was referring to. They are pricey, if I remember right it was around $4,000 for the enamel one.I am installing another one next week, I'll see if I can get some feed back from the customer.

I am also thinking of getting a Clydesdale.

I have an indoor 25 foot chimney would that be too much for the clydesdale?

What type chimney do you have WIT?

Also, anyone know if you can get a mantle heatshield in the brown enamel?

I just recently bought a clydesdale in matte black about 4 months ago and I like it a lot. I installed it on my 25ft chimney and haven't noticed any problems (maybe to much draft, but still have to verify). Installation was pretty easy but the stove weighs a lot. I have a 2500 sqft colonial house (not open concept) and it can take the chill off the whole house. I know I haven't reached the peak heat with the clydesdale yet, mostly because I was behind in getting my wood seasoned. But I've noticed I can get heat for about 5 - 7 hours (it will consistently throw heat for 9 - 10 hrs, but if I want to feel it in the whole house I need to feed it every 5 - 7 hrs).

I really like the look of this unit and am pretty satisifed with the performance. The 2 negatives I have
1) I have a hard time starting it up before it throws good heat - I'm sure this is operator error but my guess is would be easier with a steel stove
2) I wish I could get longer burn times to heat this much house. I'm not a big fan of waking up in the middle of the night to add more wood to the stove. Not sure if I can get longer burns with this stove, again could be operator error, or maybe I just need a bigger stove but this is one of the biggest stoves that would fit in my current fireplace.

I just recently bought a clydesdale in matte black about 4 months ago and I like it a lot. I installed it on my 25ft chimney and haven't noticed any problems (maybe to much draft, but still have to verify). Installation was pretty easy but the stove weighs a lot. I have a 2500 sqft colonial house (not open concept) and it can take the chill off the whole house. I know I haven't reached the peak heat with the clydesdale yet, mostly because I was behind in getting my wood seasoned. But I've noticed I can get heat for about 5 - 7 hours (it will consistently throw heat for 9 - 10 hrs, but if I want to feel it in the whole house I need to feed it every 5 - 7 hrs).

I really like the look of this unit and am pretty satisifed with the performance. The 2 negatives I have
1) I have a hard time starting it up before it throws good heat - I'm sure this is operator error but my guess is would be easier with a steel stove
2) I wish I could get longer burn times to heat this much house. I'm not a big fan of waking up in the middle of the night to add more wood to the stove. Not sure if I can get longer burns with this stove, again could be operator error, or maybe I just need a bigger stove but this is one of the biggest stoves that would fit in my current fireplace.
Properly seasoned wood will cure most of these problems. Are you filling it up with wood right before you go to bed?

Properly seasoned wood will cure most of these problems. Are you filling it up with wood right before you go to bed?
Yeah I fill it to the top right before I go to sleep, but I feel like their is more of a flame then their should be which is why I think maybe the draft is too strong. The gasket is good, I've tested it, but the unit comes with a spot for a draft meter. So i'll want to check that out as my next option.

That stove is a beast, very nice looking. It was next to the HI300 Hampton on display in the store I bought my Hampton from. Very beefy door latch. I figured it was crazy expensive, didn't consider it for that reason.

People in the past have commented on it taking the Clyde a while to get hot. Attributed to it being a cast iron firebox and also lined with soapstone. Both take a while to heat up but give it back to you after the fire burns down.

Going on our third season and love it. Large view of fire sold my wife on it. A little tricky dropping the secondary burn tubes and ceramic board assembly to clean the stack.

That stove is a beast, very nice looking. It was next to the HI300 Hampton on display in the store I bought my Hampton from. Very beefy door latch. I figured it was crazy expensive, didn't consider it for that reason.

I also compared the two in the store where I got the HI300. Very nice looking stove as well,. Doubt it would've fit though. What I didn't like about it was that, as I recall, loading N/S wasn't an option.

I am also thinking of getting a Clydesdale.

I have an indoor 25 foot chimney would that be too much for the clydesdale?

What type chimney do you have WIT?

Also, anyone know if you can get a mantle heatshield in the brown enamel?

Uncle:

My wife and I are also "Clyde" owner/operators. We are going into our second year with the Clyde. We have a 23 foot SS insulated Flex King Pro liner that we bought from http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/. Of corse, there are many other suppliers of flexible SS pipe. We dropped the liner down a 14 inch by 14 inch terra-cotta flue. The masonry chimney is "inside". The fireplace was/is a manufactured Superior Heatform which we modified to accept the SS Flex pipe.

The draft is fine. We have experienced no down-draft and no back-puffing issues. We installed a block-off plate at the bottom backed with 2 inches of Roxul. At the top plate, we installed 2 inches of Roxul between the liner and terra-cotta flue. So the liner sits inside a cavity that is sealed at its top and bottom. The liner is capped with a "Vacu-Stack."

We have a 2000 square foot, single story ranch house. The Clyde can heat our house very nicely - without cranking the Clyde up to maximum. In fact, when the Clyde is running, our gas-fired forced air heat system never calls for heat. The Clyde is expensive to buy relative to other inserts. But I think (just my opinion, of course) that the cost is justified by its quality. Having to load the Clyde in "north-south" only orientation has not been a problem. The Clyde is one easy starting woodstove.

Regarding your question for a mantel heat shield in brown enamel: You can take your heat shield to a powder coating outfit and have them powder coat the heat shield in almost any color. It's not expensive. We "extended" our hearth by cutting out sufficient red oak flooring and dropping in a piece of powder coated steel coated to match the Clydesdale. We put down sufficient Micor to give the necessary R value.

Reactions: Uncle
I was a day away from buying a Clydesdale to replace my old insert back in 2006 when I came across the 30-NC and changed my plans because I had always wanted to try a free standing stove in my fireplace and it was big and would fit. Otherwise I would be burning in the Clydesdale right now. Well, tomorrow. It was warm today.

I have never seen a discouraging word about that insert here.

Uncle:

Having to load the Clyde in "north-south" only orientation has not been a problem. The Clyde is one easy starting woodstove.

Not a problem, maybe if your splits are 12" or less?

On a side note, although I recalled going around the store and trying to fit a 17" split in the inserts on the floor north/south, https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-stove-shop-with-a-17-split-in-my-hand.89493/ , I had to get that dimension from a search on hearth.com from a post by another owner:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-would-you-put-in-our-fireplace-clydesdale-or-hi300.53912/

What I think is sad that you typically can't find the firebox dimensions in the manufacturer's literature. They should be required to include that, instead of just bragging, for example, about how it can fit a 22" piece of wood in it.

I have had my Clydesdale for 2 months now and I love it....
-The brown enamel looks beautiful and is easy to clean
-Produces a lot of heat with good burn times...Best so far I had a few hot coals after 15hrs
-Blowers work great throw off a lot of heat and in my opinion are not loud unless at 100% and for me 2/3 is plenty
- The viewing window is one of the largest for an insert and for me that was very important because at the end of the day after cutting, splitting and stacking. I want to be able to enjoy looking at the fire I just put all that work in for.

We just started burning our Clyde two weeks ago.

- Pros: Sexy machine, soapstone provides nice even, long heat, huge window, pumps out the heat without any trouble (heats our entire 2000 SF home, non-open floorplan).

- Cons: Fan is annoying until you stick a piece of foam or something beneath the stove to damp a shield that reaches a resonate frequency, but that's not a big deal. The fan is quiet on low-med once you do this. Can only load E/W. I would like the option of N/S...but that's why the Clyde can fit in my fireplace, and so many other big stoves cannot. Off-gassing lasted for 6+ HOT burns (stovetop 500-600+ for hours). That's finally over now, but expect it...and it was bad enough that we had to open windows.

I'd buy it again, but just because of our fireplace dimensions. Otherwise I think we would have ended up with an Enviro due to cost. I paid $3,100 for the matte black Clyde, but worked to get to that price. I think most sell it for around $3,400 here.

Good luck.

I meant to say "Having to load the Clyde in "east-west" only orientation has not been a problem. You cannot load "north-south" just as velvetfoot stated. The insert is not deep enough to load "north-south." Still, the limited loading orientation has not been a problem. That is, the size of the box is "fit for its intended purpose." The Clyde starts easily (with dry wood, of course), and one can put a considerable load in the firebox.

Just as loudog stated, we too experienced the fan rattle noise. I received the piece of "polymeric" (rubber) material from Hearthstone to fix the problem. Noise problem is essentially gone. That's makes me wonder if Hearthstone ever re-engineered the heat shield design to eliminate the noise. I think the shield was/is too thin and it resonates when conditions of fan speed, air to the stove, draft, heat, and wood load are just right.

I'm not arguing for any particular stove, although happy owners here seem generally to be boosters for the stoves they own :) , but...., how can you use a 22" width to full advantage...cut and split 21" pieces? I would submit that the 2.4 ft3 firebox capacity of the Clydsdale would effectively be reduced by the use of more conventional sized wood splits and the fact that one can't pack it completely full because of the East/West limitiation, thereby giving the 2.3ft3 Hampton HI300 the edge. That being said, the huge window and clean look drew me to the Clydesdale at the store, whereupon the owner said not too get greedy and be happy the Hampton would fit in your fireplace. :)

how can you use a 22" width to full advantage...cut and split 21" pieces? I would submit that the 2.4 ft3 firebox capacity of the Clydsdale would effectively be reduced by the use of more conventional sized wood splits and the fact that one can't pack it completely full because of the East/West limitiation, thereby giving the 2.3ft3 Hampton HI300 the edge
The wider box has lots of advantages in my opinion. I always have odd pieces off wood to shove in those extra spaces and you aren't limited to any certain size of wood, making it easier to use wood from tree trimmers, and or scrounging.

loudog,

Hearthstone released a technical bulletin covering the rattling shield. I had my dealer order the foam block for me at no cost. See:

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/as...lydesdale 8491 Vibration Dampener Install.pdf

And I'm going to give N/S loading a try as I have a number of cords of 12" splits stacked and waiting.

- Cons: Fan is annoying until you stick a piece of foam or something beneath the stove to damp a shield that reaches a resonate frequency, but that's not a big deal. The fan is quiet on low-med once you do this. Can only load E/W. I would like the option of N/S...
Good luck.

I narrowed my search down to the Clydesdale, though I'm holding off on the purchase. Between the insert, flu and install, I was looking at a total cost of $5,500 - $6,000. As much as I'd like to pull the trigger on this now...... It's not in the cards right now.

We just Installed one in Brown Enamel. It's a great looking unit!

Attachments

• clyde.jpg
    clyde.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 499
Status
Not open for further replies.