Hearthstone Clydesdale.......leave it flush or set it out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banthony

Dec 7, 2011
West Chester, PA
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the "hearth.com" forum and I appreciate all of the great posts. I have learned a lot.

But here is my question.

I am buying a Hearthstone Clydesdale. As part of the install process I have the option of leaving it flush with the surround or allowing it to protrude out about 3 or 4 inches. One dealer told me that allowing it to protrude puts more heat into the room and another dealer said that it makes no difference. The theory the second dealer cited was that the fire doesn't burn any hotter or generate more heat as a result of the placement. He continued with his position by saying if the fan is blowing the exact same amount of heat is circulating.

What is the truth?

Thanks

How much square footage are you heating? I think it looks nicer flush and Im not sure if you get more heat if its set out a bit, someone more knowledgable can help you with that one.

I have mine sticking out as far as it will go. The more the stove is out, the more stove area is exposed directly to the room air.

Banthony said:
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the "hearth.com" forum and I appreciate all of the great posts. I have learned a lot.

But here is my question.

I am buying a Hearthstone Clydesdale. As part of the install process I have the option of leaving it flush with the surround or allowing it to protrude out about 3 or 4 inches. One dealer told me that allowing it to protrude puts more heat into the room and another dealer said that it makes no difference. The theory the second dealer cited was that the fire doesn't burn any hotter or generate more heat as a result of the placement. He continued with his position by saying if the fan is blowing the exact same amount of heat is circulating.

What is the truth?

Thanks

Ours is set out from the surround but it is about 6 inches. The insert is in the same room as the TV and its nice to get the heat without having the fan blowing all the time. Leaving it out also allows for a thermometer on the top center right above the door as Hearthstone suggests.

You'll love the Clydesdale. Our house is about 2000 sq ft and does a good job of keeping the furnace off.

weatherguy said:
How much square footage are you heating? I think it looks nicer flush and Im not sure if you get more heat if its set out a bit, someone more knowledgable can help you with that one.

I have about 3,100 square feet o I'm not expecting to heat the entire house. The room that it is in is about 375 square feet with open access to other rooms totaling about another 400 square feet.

My Clydesdale is pulled out as far as it can go. I like the look better that way, plus I put a steamer on the shelf. I think that the difference in heat from flush to full out would be minimal, so I think you should set it up based on what you think looks best.

Banthony said:
Hello everyone,

But here is my question.

What is the truth?

Thanks

Banthony;

To some extent, whether you push the insert all the way back into the fireplace or extend it all the way out onto the hearth may depend on the size of your hearth. As I recall, you will need 18 inches of non-combustible hearth material (stone, tile, marble. etc.) in front of the glass door, and having an "R" value of 1.0. To meet this requirement you may have to: 1) extend your hearth; 2) push the insert all the way back; or 3) you may be OK and have to do nothing.

We have our Clydesdale extending all the way out onto the hearth. To do this, I had to cut out some of our red-oak floor in front of the insert and replace it with non-combustible.

We like having the insert in its far out position. You can observe stove temperatures with a contact thermometers a bit easier. Also, I think there is some increased heat delivered with addition convection and radiation when the insert is fully out. However, the blower will do most of the work for heat production whether it's in or out.

Good luck with your Clydesdale - I think that you will like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.