Hearthstone Clydesdale ships today... need some advice on a couple of issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules

Dec 28, 2010
Sounthern Maryland
My new stove should arrive next week.

First issue... my current chimney extends beyond the peak of roof just shy of 2 feet (chimney is located at peak of roof). Second issue.. my current hearth is only 16.5 inches wide which is just shy of the 17 inch requirement in the specs. Due to depth constraints, I will need to extend the insert out into the hearth at least 3 inches which reduces the width of the hearth even more. I expect to have no more than 14 inches once installed.

I plan to do some tile/stone work this summer on the fireplace hearth and surround so I only need a temporary fix for the narrow hearth issue. Any suggestions? I have been buring fires in my fireplace occasionally for years now without any problems due to the height of the chimney. Have I just been lucky?

I plan to take a wire brush to the interior of he fireplace and up into the chimney as far as I can reach. If I am lining the chimney do I really need to pay to have it cleaned first?

My ex is installing the liner. I plan to order a 6" Flex King Pro liner kit for my 16' external chimney (with insulation). I think the hardest part will be enlarging the opening where the rusted out damper is. He's an HVAC/sheet metal guy by trade so this should be fairly simple for him. Is the pulling cone a must have for a DIY install?

Cabin Fever:

The height of your masonry chimney should be OK, because you can extend the SS flex liner that you plan to install to the code required height. By the way, the Clydesdale requires a chimney height of at least 13 feet. Assuming that you have a tera-cotta flue liner (typical), you can terminate the SS liner so that it extends at least 3 feet above the roof peak. If necessary, you can increase the height of the tera-cota liner. Quoting from the "Heart Handbook for Building Officials - Solid Fuel Hearth Systems, November 2009, page 34: "Masonry(and factory built...) chimneys for solid fuel appliances must extend at least 2 feet higher than any portion of a building within 10 feet, but also at least 3 feet higher than the highest point where the chimney passes through the roof."

Regarding the hearth issue, you need be concerned with a) spark/ember protection, and b) heat transmission to combustible floor materials.

I don't recommend temporary fixes because all too often temporary becomes permanent. However, the above referenced document does address stove boards and hearth pads as follows: "As the full UL 1618 standard is used by manufacturers, the listing will indicate whether the pad/board is only for spark/ember protection (Type I Ember Protector) or also provides thermal protection (Type 2 Thermal Floor Protector.) That is, it's up to you to determine if a temporary fix such as a heart pad or board is satisfactory. I suggest that contact local wood-stove suppliers to determine if any have a heart pad that meets Type I and II requirements. Also, the Internet has a vast array of wood stove accessory suppliers that you could search/contact to determine if any such pads would meet code.

Before you install your SS Flex King Pro Liner, you should clean and inspect your existing chimney flue to ensure that it does not have creosote build-up and the flue is structurally sound. One is tempted to skip these important steps, only to regret so doing later on. What's that old saw about "having enough time to do it right the second time, but not enough time to do it right the first time." And from the Clydesdale Instruction Manual: "Hire a professional to examine the masonry chimney for cracks, loose mortar and other signs of deterioration... If the chimney requires repair, complete them before installing..."

A pulling cone is helpful when installing SS Flex in tight places - and it can minimize damage to the leading edge of your liner. I installed a 6 inch SS Flex King Pro into a 14 inch retangular flue without a pulling cone. I just used duct tape on the leading edge of the flex before I fed it down the chimney. But in my case, I had plenty of extra room.

Good luck with your install. I have a Clydesdale and really love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.