Hearthstone Clydesdale undressed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmiser

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2011
Garnet Valley, PA
I took a few camera shots of the underside of a Clydesdale insert. I wanted to find out where it gets it's air. Local shop allowed me to pull the sheet metal shroud off of the bottom of a brand new one and get a peek at how she breathes. Notice the two curved ribs.. the sheet metal covers the bottom which makes those curved area air channels for the two fans and keep the air from blowing over the front adjustable air intake or the rear secondary intakes. There are two holes in the back that feed the secondary tubes. The air control is just a flat plate of thin sheet metal that slides in and out to block off air.

Attachments

• underside04.jpg
    underside04.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 289
  • underside03.jpg
    underside03.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 293
  • underside02.jpg
    underside02.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 291
Interesting pics. I've never seen any insert from this angle. Are you thinking of partially restricting these secondary intakes to slow down your burn?

Not sure. The air control closes pretty much almost 90%

I'm interested in knowing why your Clydesdale is running so hot. There have been others on here that have owned this model and have not reported any issues like this.

I wonder what the problem is? Leak somewhere?

I am getting better at controlling it. I'm finding that if keep the fire down sooner I don't have as much problem maintaining control. What I don't like is when I'm fully closed down and the temp is still rising. That's when it has the control... I want full control. If I shut it down I at least expect it to respond. I'm getting better at it but it does like to have a mind of it's own.

BTW got a moisture meter and found my so-so oak is in fact well seasoned. I don't have any seasoned wood over 20%. The super dry stuff comes in at 13 or so and the oak that I bought reads 18%. That's testing a freshly split surface.
I think I have really strong draft. I'm going to do a draft measurement soon.

woodmiser said:
I am getting better at controlling it. I'm finding that if keep the fire down sooner I don't have as much problem maintaining control. What I don't like is when I'm fully closed down and the temp is still rising. That's when it has the control... I want full control. If I shut it down I at least expect it to respond. I'm getting better at it but it does like to have a mind of it's own.

BTW got a moisture meter and found my so-so oak is in fact well seasoned. I don't have any seasoned wood over 20%. The super dry stuff comes in at 13 or so and the oak that I bought reads 18%. That's testing a freshly split surface.
I think I have really strong draft. I'm going to do a draft measurement soon.

I've suspected that all three of my chimneys draft strong. Let me know what you end up doing to measure the draft.

Draft meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.