Hearthstone Enamel Question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakotas Dad

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
OK, so the door on the Mansfield started shedding it's enamel paint in February.. Coming off in dime to quarter sized pieces.. Only on the door, and in two areas..It's the Majorca Brown..

Anybody seen this, and what did you/they do?

I am going to pull the door and go talk to my local shop.. see if it can be refinished. If not, or if it's hideously expensive, I will just media blast it and have a black door.. I prefer a flat black stove anyways..

What is the warranty on the finish? Sounds like it might be bad enameling.

OK, so the door on the Mansfield started shedding it's enamel paint in February.. Coming off in dime to quarter sized pieces.. Only on the door, and in two areas..It's the Majorca Brown..

Anybody seen this, and what did you/they do?

I am going to pull the door and go talk to my local shop.. see if it can be refinished. If not, or if it's hideously expensive, I will just media blast it and have a black door.. I prefer a flat black stove anyways..
Yeah, this happened on my blue Tribute, too, although not on the door, on the top trim on one side and right around the flue exit. The Tribute is secondhand, so not covered by warranty and I didn't ask. Original owner bought it in 2004. As a result, I made sure to order the new stove with the matte black trim, although I gather from the dealer it's not a huge job to sand it off and re-enamel.

What is the warranty on the finish? Sounds like it might be bad enameling.

Second owner.. I will point out that the finish on our old, black stove still looks like new in it's new home.. :)

My Shelburne warranty specifies: limited one-year warranty on enamel finish, against peeling or fading, excluding chipping, mechanical abrasion, chemical abrasion, or crazing. Mine is three years old and no problems.

How old is it? If it's not very old the dealer should help you out with this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.