Hearthstone H1 - Uninsulated basement vs insulated basement = WOW!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no i haven't tried. i don't have the coal grate. i have the little knuckle under the side door for the shaker grate but that's it. i am interested in how it burns with coal. burn times and how it does in general. few years back i was talking to hearthstone's wood tech guy jim casavant and when i asked him about burning coal he said (don't burn coal in it) when i asked him why he didn't give me a answer. just said it was bad and left it at that. seeing that i could only get 4 hour burns out of it (give or take a hour ) depending on the wood i had a interest in coal for the long burn.

i like the black that you have on the stove now. it gives it a very neat look. can't wait to see the hunter green that you have planned
I didn't have the original coal basket.Just some grates that cover the opening of the base and let the ash fall into the ash pan.You can use a poker to shift the ash.I got about 12-14 hrs of good heat from the coal for several years until the coal ate up the innards.A pipe damper is a good way of keeping the coal from over firing also the amount of coal you use will keep a even temp.The stove was built to burn coal as well as wood so I don't know why Jim was so against it.Call some fireplace shops to see if they have some small grates that will cover the opening or call one of those stove parts places to see if you can get the original basket or something comparable.That 4 hour burn time is rediculous.Try the coal.You'll be able to tell if works for you in no time.Also a steel shop will put a grate together for you in no time.Just give them the measurements.

thanks rich. 12 to 14 hour burn times without the shaker grate is better than i thought. how hot did the stove run?

thanks rich. 12 to 14 hour burn times without the shaker grate is better than i thought. how hot did the stove run?
I had a grate just not the original grate.A friend gave me her's which she used in her fireplace when she moved.It just happen to fit inside the H2 well.Now coal burns hotter than wood well it's all hot.Coal just burns longer.It burnt well.I would have kept the stove if it wasn't so old.It lived it's life and provided well.Try it and let it be known how it works for you.

We had a short Indian summer..60 here today so I painted the Beast again:
H1HunterGreen006.jpg

H1HunterGreen004.jpg

I went with Hunter Green Thurmalox stove paint. I also ordered the Jade green, but it was a bit too bright.

Now that is a beautiful color.I'm doing my break in fires.Just one more to go till I give it the big burst.It hasn't been cold enough to fire both stove but I will fire up the One anyhow just to feel the effect.

that's a great color. goes perfect with the stones

Status
Not open for further replies.