Hearthstone: Have I messed this up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwright

Oct 6, 2011
Little Rock, AR
So I was cleaning out my Tribute the other day and took out the ceramic (?) white plate that is above the secondary air tube combustors. The refactory cement that sealed the plate to the top of stove was damaged by me shoving logs in that little stove for all it was worth not realizing it was rather fragile. While the plate seems to be OK, it isn't sealed anymore to the opening in the stove.

I figure this will be ok.

Will it?

Attachments

• Stove1.jpg
    Stove1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 625
Here a shot UP the stove showing where the plate usually sits.

Attachments

• stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 657
Just get yourself some Rutland refractory cement and glue it back into place. It basically just has to "be there". It really is nothing more than a shield to send heat back to the reburn tubes (but it does need to be there)

What happened to you is not too uncommon on Hearthstone units.
From what I can tell on our Tribute, it seems like some sort of hardened
fiberboard, and it fragile in nature. It costs about $70 to replace.

I put it back in, so it's sitting where it's supposed to. Isn't broken, I just need to know if I need to put the sealant back around the board for any reason. If so, I'd have to put it on the bottom of the board (not on the top where the factory was able to place it).

I've only burned one fire it in since I've put it back together so I can't tell if it's doing any harm. I'd think not, but there are folks that know more than I do.

No, just the cement has broken off of around the plate where it once sealed the plate to the stove. The plate is installed and back where it was. Just wanting to know if I really needed to seal it to the stove again. Right now it's sitting loose - which is how it's been for a while after I had tried to shove the stove with more wood than it can handle.

You can see in the first pic where I found the cement and put it next to the plate. You can see a portion still on the plate in the upper left side of the plate.

From the factory it was sealed from the top side of the plate - something I'll not be able to do without major surgery I believe. So either I seal it along the bottom edges (where the plate rests) and sit the plate on top of the sealant, or continue with no sealant.

Got it. As long as the board is there, my opinion is - your good to go. If you want to seal it with cement, even better. It may improve performance by a small percent, but I even question that if it is setting properly.

Just one dudes opinion.

Jags has it right. You do NOT need to seal the plate. They do it that way from the factory since they build the stove from the bottom up and it is easy to spooge cement along the top and push the baffle plate into it.

No cement is needed for reassembly, just the cotter pins. Center the plate as best you can to keep the gaps on each side symetrical.

What about all that black stuff in there? Looks like you may have a problem with your wood. Clean that chimney often!

That is pretty black but these non-cat stone stoves are often cold heat sinks until they warm up and the upper chamber condenses lots of junk but then never gets hot enough to burn it off. Poster is in Arkansas too so maybe lots of smaller fires?

Highbeam said:
Jags has it right. You do NOT need to seal the plate. They do it that way from the factory since they build the stove from the bottom up and it is easy to spooge cement along the top and push the baffle plate into it.

No cement is needed for reassembly, just the cotter pins. Center the plate as best you can to keep the gaps on each side symetrical.

"Spooge"?

Used as a verb of course. Perhaps better described as, deposit a heavy paste like substance slowly and meaningfully along a seam.

Derived from a Snoqualmie term, no doubt.

Yeah, I've since learned after buying the unit that it's really best for long burns. I have liked to use it for smaller fires in the morning - so really by the time it's really heated up it's about time to shut it down - especially now.

It is time to clean the chimney as when I was running low on wood I had to get into the green stuff near the end of the season, too. So that's next.

Thanks for the replies, and not needing the cement is what I was thinking.

"Spooge" is a familiar term to me, so us red necks in Arkansas know about it.

DanCorcoran said:

As a noun, it refers to a thick paste made from salmon and fiddlehead ferns, masticated, put in a container, and buried until fermentation is complete. The mixture is noted for a distinctive sour, piquant smell and the texture. It is primarily a ceremonial food, but also valued as a spackle. (Note etymological relationships: spooge, spackle, spit) The formula for Liquid Nails is based on spooge.

snowleopard said:
DanCorcoran said:

As a noun, it refers to a thick paste made from salmon and fiddlehead ferns, masticated, put in a container, and buried until fermentation is complete. The mixture is noted for a distinctive sour, piquant smell and the texture. It is primarily a ceremonial food, but also valued as a spackle. (Note etymological relationships: spooge, spackle, spit) The formula for Liquid Nails is based on spooge.

I'd like to try it; sounds delicious. Maybe Spooge-R-Us.com will have some...

Probably don't want to do an internet search for that one.

Snowleopard: I don't know if you meant to but I about spit my coffee and candy bar breakfast onto my keyboard. Liquid nails formula is based on spooge, excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.