Hearthstone Hearthstone Hearthstone ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Dempsey

Sep 8, 2013
Just thought I'd put it out there ...

Back in the Fall I purchased an H1 ... lovely stove in great shape ... a veritable citadel of warmth ... at least I imagine so ... Sadly, the clearance needs are such that I can't really install it without losing my living room. Alas!

So now, Tis for sale, but what I'm really writing for is to ask about opinions on the Mansfield. Neweer stove, much tighter clearances, I get to keep my living room, and it should burn all night. Know anyone who has a used one for sale?

Note that the newest mansfield is different than the mansfield that Hearthstone made for a long time and that most of us remember.

The new one(8012):

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/store/wood-products/wood-stoves/mansfield

The old one (8011):

http://www.energy-plus.com/HearthStoneMansfield.jpg

I always thought the old one had silly looking legs. I'm over my soapstone phase and now I would recommend against a hearthstone stove unless you just love the look of rock. There are much better performing stoves out there.

Reactions: Jason Dempsey
Wonderful stove, tons of heat, very expensive.

Opinions are like..

The new legs are nasty looking in person, and the new door is as generic as can be. The 8011 heats my home just fine. I have to look at the stove for more of the year than I have to feed it, I want it to look good and the Mansfield does. No one walks in and says "Oh you have a wood stove.." winter or summer, they walk in and say ""OH CRAP that's awesome!!"

There may be stoves that are a bit better in the performance dept. But honestly, I can keep my home any temp I want, from a not fantastic instal location, and it's at the very top of their rated sqft..

Hello, agree totally with you DD, the legs and door are just plain looking now- the 8011 did have more charm to it. Still a great heater though.

It's a matter of taste, some like em, some don't. I was considering the Mansfield for our house. The first thing my wife noticed when I showed her the Mansfield was "those ugly duck feet". It was the end of the discussion. She's fussy, doesn't like the Victorian look of the Fireview either, but loves the cast iron Jotuls and VCs.

See ... I kinda like the Victorian ugly duck foot thing myself, and the model I'm getting is last years and somewhat discounted, though new. It has the ugly duck feet, as well as the side hinge door ... I'm pretty pleased ...

Status
Not open for further replies.