HearthStone Heritage break in fire!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DriftWood

Minister of Fire
Apr 5, 2006
Bluewater Area, Great Lakes
Inspected and passed by the Township Mechanical Inspector. These are photos of the brake in fire in my new Hearthstone Heritage Woodstove. It is vented to a insulated,100% 316 Ti Homesaver UltraPro Chimney liner in a 1944 masonry fireplace and chimney that has a steel firebox with air vents left in place. The surround and hearth are stone tile on ½" Durock cement board. There is ½" Micore 300 as a base for the hearth.

On My Hearth and Surrond I chose a natural stone slate, really Quartzite it is from China, is easy to cut with a stone saw,durable and ash dose not show on it. I got the stone tile at The Tile Shop its is called Boading Cream tumbled .

This a 100% Did It Ourself install, my second. Thanks for the advice in the forums I read!!!

Attachments

• ImageStove021.jpg
    ImageStove021.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 5,803
  • ImageStove023.jpg
    ImageStove023.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 5,488
Beautiful stove and setup!!!

Jeeezzzzz, I hope my wife doesn't see this pic! Gorgeous tile work, great job!

That is really an impressive setup. The bricks, steve etc are awesome!!!

Definately Nice Job!! Congrats!!

T

That is gorgeous. Stove and tile job. I want one of each!

If you cover the stove real good and mask around the hearth and shoot about three squirts of high temp flat black paint on that liner it would disapper right into the background of that fireplace.

BrotherBart said:

If you cover the stove real good and mask around the hearth and shoot about three squirts of high temp flat black paint on that liner it would disapper right into the background of that fireplace.
Tile , Soapstone , Wood , Brass , Porcelain Enamel , STAINLESS STEEL ...........Just showing off all the expencive stuff ! Has everything except GOLD but i guess the effort and price tag makes up for that. Ha .........

BrotherBart said:

i agree, thats the only flaw i see in that install, if you even want to call it a flaw. You could also put a stainless T back there and make it look sharp and easy to clean. I showed this photo twice in the showroom today.

MountainStoveGuy said:
BrotherBart said:

If you cover the stove real good and mask around the hearth and shoot about three squirts of high temp flat black paint on that liner it would disappear right into the background of that fireplace.
i agree, that's the only flaw i see in that install, if you even want to call it a flaw. You could also put a stainless T back there and make it look sharp and easy to clean. I showed this photo twice in the showroom today.

I have noticed black stainless radiates heat better than plain clean metal. My local Hearthstone Stoves dealer Emmetts Energy, where I purchased all the stove and liner components, suggested I wait on the painting the T and exposed Liner black until after the final inspection. The Township Mechanical Inspector could then see the labels on the assembly to verify its rating and UL Listing .

The photos of the break-in fire were taken the same day as the final inspection, after the inspector left

Man, nice looking install, beautiful tilework. I like doing tile, but am not imaginative enough to come up with a fancy layout like that and have it look good. You have a lot to be proud of.

Man, this is a tough crowd, work like that and you get "dinged" for the stainless showing? :)

Bri

brian_in_idaho said:
Man, nice looking install, beautiful tilework. I like doing tile, but am not imaginative enough to come up with a fancy layout like that and have it look good. You have a lot to be proud of.

Man, this is a tough crowd, work like that and you get "dinged" for the stainless showing? :)

Bri

Weren't no ding! Just musing.

That and maybe blinding jealousy because I don't have that beautiful stove and hearth.

Nice install. Seems like the Heritage is very popular this year.

I noticed the Lakers on your mantel. Are you a great lakes sailor?

Very sharp! Like the tile work as others have noted. Stove also looks great. Good example of how neatly a fireplace can be converted to a very high-class woodstove install.

-Colin

Driftwood,
your set up is so great that I think my thread is done :lol: How much of your stove actually sits inside the fireplace?

I'll do more homework on the stove I really want and will definitely go on line to look at more spec sheets. I like the fact that your fireplace is at floor level and I wonder about lowering the floor of my fireplace. No idea what's under the raised fireplace floor. There is a basement underneath and the chimney shares a flue with an oil furnace.
I wanted to visit the local PE dealer but then decided a top vent would not work for me. So I'll still look into it - maybe even...no not that color. And I was sure in a recent discussion someone posted that no steel stoves rear vent.

The stoves rear legs are about 2 inches outside the fireplace. So no stove is in the fireplace. I would have made the hearth flush even with the floor boards but a old hearth stopped that idea. Another thing over do the R rating on the hearth if you can, in case you want to change stoves.

Thanks Drift...
I just looked at your set up again and I realized I would have much the same set-up if I remove my hearth and lower the fireplace floor. We plan to cover the existing brick with tile or stone and will also have a wood floor. I see you used 1/2 inch micore, which I've looked into and it's available fairly close by. How high is your hearth? To get a flush hearth what would you have done with floor/subfloor(if old hearth wasn't there?) What is the distance from your stove vent to your flue - it looks like your vent pipe is almost at the very back of your stove. Again, it's a very nice looking piece of work - a picture really can be worth a thousand words.

Status
Not open for further replies.