Hearthstone Heritage burn pot issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LynnS

Jan 11, 2014
Portland, OR
Hi, folks--

First time poster. We've had our Hearthstone Heritage for three heating seasons now. We had to replace the burn pot last year; it corroded straight through! It was under warranty, so it didn't cost us anything. Now it's corroded straight through again! Two of the slits have turned into one.

Two questions:

Is it safe to run it with this burn pot before we get a new one?

WHY is this happening? What are we doing wrong?

We clean it every summer, thoroughly, and I think my husband might clean the burn pot a little too well, if such a thing is possible. Thank you for any thoughts.

PS: my tablet autocorrected the title to "a Heritage" for reasons known only to it...

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like I have the first clue on why this is happening, cuz I don't. Nor am I familiar with this stove...but did u say you only clean your burn pot durning the summer? I havehave learned that almostI 100% of Pellet stove problems are due to being clean ( or lack there of). A burn pot needs to be cleaned every time the stove is shut down and normal cleaning is done. At least once a week durning winter use I would think. With everyday use, my stove is shut down and thoroughly cleaned top to bottom(except the stove pipe) every 3-4 days. This includes cleaning the burn pot and removing any and all clinkers to my best ability. Usually with a good ol hammer and chisel. I couldn't imagine what my pot would look like if the clinkers were left until spring/summer time! Not saying this is the cause of your problems...but just a thought to consider durning your winter cleaning/ maintenance. Good luck!

did u say you only clean your burn pot durning the summer?

Oh heavens no, I'm sorry I left that impression! I clean it at least once a day. What I meant was, we take the stove apart as directed and give it a thorough inside and out maintenance in the summer. The burn pot, ash tray, glass etc get regular cleaning throughout the heating season.

In any event, I ordered yet another $200+ burn pot. :( I was just hoping someone would have some idea why they're disintegrating on me, or whether this is just how Hearthstones work. In which case I'll have to factor a yearly burn pot purchase into our heating budget. It just doesn't sound right to me, though.

Hearthstone has some 'splainin to do.

What does the dealer say?

I've got a HearthStone Heritage pellet stove. 2 heating seasons of run-time. No burnpot disintegrations. Call HearthStone technician Jim Casavant and tell him about your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.