Hearthstone heritage door adjustment info/advice/comments needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingeryote

Oct 23, 2010
Michigan
Ran over to the MIL.'s place Sunday to plow snow and she had the door of her Heathstone heritage wedged shut with a poker...

After nagging at her about fire and carbon monoxide issues, untill she promised not to do that again(Ya can't throttle Granny even if she does need it! LOL!) she explained the door wasn't staying shut.

So I grabbed the allen wrenches and adjusted the latch to engage firmly while the stove was hot and loaded.
Goofy set up at best IMO, as there is so little engagement area to work with, but will take a better look at it later.

I planned on going back over this week, and replacing the door seal(another thing she cobbled without saying anything) and doing a proper adjustment with the new seal.

So this afternoon she calls and says she broke the glass somehow...I hope I didn't over tension the door and the contraction of the stove busted it..DOH!!!!!

The Dealer that was in this area got run out of business for bieng a hack, screwing people over, and doing cobbled/dangerous installs, and the next nearest dealer is 30 bucks worth of gas to visit, and also has a shady Rep.

So, it looks like I go to the local Glass shop and have them cut the ceramic glass from stock, and wing it on the door adjustment.

Any advice on the glass or door?

I checked the Hearthstone website and couldn't find anything relevant.

TIA!!!

The Heritage (and most of Hearthstone's stoves, I believe) have a non-adjustable door latch which uses a spring inside the handle to take up slack from the gasket compressing over time. The problem is the stationary cast iron door frame wears away where the door latch is constantly rubbing as you rotate the latch lever. If this is the case, your best bet is replacing the stationary door frame. Also, unlike other stoves which use multiple clips to secure the door glass, your Heritage has a large one-piece cast iron frame securing the glass to the door frame. I could be wrong, but I think it's unlikely you caused the glass to crack from over tightening, unless the window gasket was severely worn or nonexistent when you tightened it. The cast iron glass retention frame should distribute the force from the screws pretty evenly.

I also pass by a local Hearthstone dealer and drive an hour to go to a dealer I much prefer to do business with.

Try these guys for parts: http://woodheatstoves.com
They contribute to this forum and will probably chime in to this thread...

Thank ya much Jon!!!

I just got off the Horn with the dealer 70 miles from here(The close one) and of course they had no clue and I would have to wait untill some other dude called back tomorrow. LOL!!

The other dealer said he would cut glass to fit, but is backed up for a week. 110 miles means it ain't gonna happen.

I'll give the guys in the link a shout, and get the screws on the frame a spritz of penetrating oil.

Thanks much!!

On my heritage, the glass is held in with clips. The door latch design is hokey as heck because of the fact the latch is machined into the door frame. The latch, especially on the side door, is very very thin and seems prone to failure. I would call this the only major design flaw of the stove. Not a big deal if you only burn the stove once in a while but regular burners need to keep an eye on this latch system. Fixing the problem is an extensive stove tear down process that I hope to never need to complete.

Got the Glas replaced by a local Glass shop that does a fair business with us wood burners.

The door on this one had the clips. Couple drops of Kroil on each and they came loose with no problems.

Replaced the Gaskets, and adjusted the door handle to latch snugly on a dollar bill.

For some reason, the Dorks that did the install(Morons are now outta Biz.) didn't bother with the springs in the front or side door latch.
The cam on the handle is in good shape as are the seats cast into the stove front and side, but the side door cam seat is darn thin and cheesey looking.

Looks like I gotta make an order with woodheatstoves.com for the springs, and possibly some other parts like the grate.

Question for you guys.
It's an older stove but has the secondaries. I'm not sure if the stove should be run with a flue damper or not, but granny has been using one to run the air control wide open and damp it down at the flue. It was my understanding that the newer stoves rely on the baffle plate and air control like our Quad 7100.

Thanks gang!!

granny will get better heat and better operation with no pipe damper. or aleast with the pipe damper FULLY opened.
there is no need for a pipe damper in an air tight stove unless by some chance she has super duper crazy strong draft.
all the air controlling should be done at the stove.
if done this way she will see the secondary burn kick in and get more heat from that secondary burn. now that you have fixed the door latch and the gasketing she will be able to control the stove very nicely with just the stoves air control :)

Dingeryote said:
Got the Glas replaced by a local Glass shop that does a fair business with us wood burners.

The door on this one had the clips. Couple drops of Kroil on each and they came loose with no problems.

Replaced the Gaskets, and adjusted the door handle to latch snugly on a dollar bill.

For some reason, the Dorks that did the install(Morons are now outta Biz.) didn't bother with the springs in the front or side door latch.
The cam on the handle is in good shape as are the seats cast into the stove front and side, but the side door cam seat is darn thin and cheesey looking.

Looks like I gotta make an order with woodheatstoves.com for the springs, and possibly some other parts like the grate.

Question for you guys.
It's an older stove but has the secondaries. I'm not sure if the stove should be run with a flue damper or not, but granny has been using one to run the air control wide open and damp it down at the flue. It was my understanding that the newer stoves rely on the baffle plate and air control like our Quad 7100.

Thanks gang!!

we have 3000+ hs parts listed online, enter the part number into our search box to find it...

if you need the parts lists:
pm me
make, model(include model# please) and your email address.

ps, hearthstone has been terribly slow to ship out parts this year, expect delays :(

as for the glass, hs uses special ir coated glass- ( newer models have lifetime coverage on glass if you have a good dealer they will cover it...)

Wood Heat,

Thank you for the support!!

I'll be calling Monday, and understand the delays with hearthstone.

Already have the glass taken care of through the local Glass shop, as there is no chance of dealer support in this area.
I'll get the numbers for you and holler.

Thank you much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.