Hearthstone Heritage has me drooling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodge04

Oct 7, 2008
Belfast, Maine
I stopped by my father in laws last night and saw his new stove for the first time. Hearthstone Heritage. I just about fell over when I saw the stove. This stove is NICE. The stove was completely out and still radiating heat! He said the stove had been out since about 5:30 and it was almost 9! I have been meaning to do some calling around and see what I can find for prices but I have yet to get a chance today. I know the stoves are in the $2,500 range.

Are there any other comparable stoves that are a bit cheaper? I know you get what you pay for and these stoves are higher end stoves so I'm obviously not expecting to find a stove like this for $1000 but I was just like to look at options.

-Chad

Take a look at the Woodstock stoves also. THey are also a soapstone stove but they have a cat vs the Hearthstone secondary burn. Both Woodstock and Hearthstone make great stoves and you will pay for them. Check out the reviews of these stoves on this site, Woodstock stoves get great reviews.

pinewoodburner said:
Take a look at the Woodstock stoves also. THey are also a soapstone stove but they have a cat vs the Hearthstone secondary burn. Both Woodstock and Hearthstone make great stoves and you will pay for them. Check out the reviews of these stoves on this site, Woodstock stoves get great reviews.

If I'm remebering right, the Woodstock stoves require a much greater clearance than the Hearthstones, don't they?

CDodge04 said:
I stopped by my father in laws last night and saw his new stove for the first time. Hearthstone Heritage. I just about fell over when I saw the stove. This stove is NICE. The stove was completely out and still radiating heat! He said the stove had been out since about 5:30 and it was almost 9! I have been meaning to do some calling around and see what I can find for prices but I have yet to get a chance today. I know the stoves are in the $2,500 range.

Are there any other comparable stoves that are a bit cheaper? I know you get what you pay for and these stoves are higher end stoves so I'm obviously not expecting to find a stove like this for $1000 but I was just like to look at options.

-Chad

Soapstone definitely rocks. Takes a little longer to warm up, but you get a longer period of heat on the other end after the fire's died down. The stoves are gorgeous and produce a wonderful warm, even kind of heat. I'm lusting after the Heritage myself for some day in the future because my little Tribute doesn't quite do the job for me.

gyrfalcon said:
pinewoodburner said:

If I'm remebering right, the Woodstock stoves require a much greater clearance than the Hearthstones, don't they?

The woodstocks have larger clearances but some models have smaller front clearances because of no front door so the total hearth may be about the same. The heritage has very small clearance requirements, only 7" in back.

I love my heritage and it looks great IMO. Due to the prices I would buy the biggest woodstock today which is about the size of the heritage. A new heritage costs 3000$ and my current one was bought for under 2000$ August before last. Major increases on Hearthstone but they have the market cornered on large soapstone stoves as well as non-cat soapstone stoves.

CDodge04, that Heritage indeed is a beautiful stove and we came very close to buying one. Now we are so happy we didn't having learned of a few that have problems with them. You will need to search long and hard to find people who have problems with a Woodstock stove!

The stove out at 5:30 and still warm at 9:00! Unusual? NO! We put 3 splits in our stove at 8:00 pm and then just let it go out. The next afternoon it is still warm! Yes, soapstone holds the heat a long time, but what really counts is the overall heating of the unit. For instance, we cut our fuel needs almost in half when we got the Woodstock Fireview! Not only that, but we stay much, much warmer in the house.

The stove is simple and easy to use, burns clean (as long as you have good fuel), low maintenance and uses less fuel to save you more dollars. Not only that, but the company has the best warranty in the industry and they also back it up. They are easy to deal with (I never got any high pressure) and will go to extremes to make sure you are happy with your stove. Do yourself a favor and look into the Woodstock line.

Our only regret is that we didn't buy this stove years sooner.

Those Woodstock Fireviews look excellent as well! If I had more money I would definitely jump on one of those soapstone stoves without hesitation!

I somehow must convince my father in law that he doesn't really need that stove and that he should sell it to me... ;-)

I know exactly what you mean. We looked at them many years ago too but just didn't feel we could spend the dollars then. Now that I have one I realize that I would have been much better off spending the dollars then! It really pays and these things will last longer than I will. Good luck.

You'll want to investigate the differences between catalytic technology (Woodstock) and non-catalytic (Hearthstone), CDodge04. Grew up in house mainly heated by a huge soapstone stove. I loved it and have a soft spot for soapstone.

Backwoods Savage said:
CDodge04, that Heritage indeed is a beautiful stove and we came very close to buying one. Now we are so happy we didn't having learned of a few that have problems with them.

Like what problems?

It's not soapstone, but the Alderlea with its cast iron shell holds radiant heat as well, 4 hours being about the norm from my observations. And it retails for about $1000 less.

yah,,,like what problems? I have had no problems with my heritage,,how about the cat problems..more things to mess with and more things to go wrong..???

I somehow must convince my father in law that he doesn't really need that stove and that he should sell it to me... ;-)[/quote]

No, you must convince him to give it to you ;-P I really enjoy my Hearthstone Homestead but would have looked into the Woodstocks had I heard about them before I bought. As for problems, I couldn't get the door latched tonight. My wife said it goes to the left - and she was right. Maybe I shouldn't watch baseball and use the stove at the same time.

There have been people asking for help and they also own heritage's but the questions are nto stove problems they are more user problems and also soapstone problems. The stoves all seem to be working great and we must remember that this site is a place to ask these types of questions.. That said, I don't think I've ever seen a woodstock problem from the handful of folks that own them. Maybe it is because there are no local dealers for woodstock and the buyers are more of a DIY breed to mail order a woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.