Hearthstone Heritage questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

makoda

Dec 15, 2013
Utah
I have a unique situation with my ears being sensitive to sounds. I am looking into changing stoves to the heritage and am wondering if the stove being cast and soapstone makes any ticking or popping noises during heat up, opening closing door, running, cooling down? My current stove ticks a lot and I am tired of trying to deal with it. Thanks.

Here is a post that better describes my situation: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/need-advice-on-getting-a-stove.131318/#post-1811904

I am also curious as to the stoves performance and your reviews of it.

I used a Heritage in a showroom off and on for a few years, never noticed it being loud. thinking about how loud a steel stove is (not loud to me when compared to some things) I think you may want to concern yourself with chimney or vent noises as well.

We don't have a Heritage, but had a Homestead and now a Mansfield. Neither seems(ed) noisy to me.. but I was on tanks for +20 years..

I think any stove is going to expand and contract some, and honestly, since these are all assembled by hand from natural stone and such, I think 1 person might have one that is dead silent, and another, one that talks...

I had a heritage for just under 30 cords of fuel wood. It made some sounds but not any more than any other stove and nothing that would stop me from buying another. Just don't expect any stove to be 100% silent.

Attachments

• IMAG0293.jpg
    IMAG0293.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 130
I don't have a Heritage, but I do have a 'cast & soapstone stove'. I hardly notice the occasional tick or ping. When I just read your post I was in the process of reloading my stove and bringing it up to temp. I especially focused on paying attention to any stove noise, and honestly, the few expansion sounds I did hear were nothing to speak of. However, all stoves make some sounds.

yeah I understand they all will make some sound, just trying to find what would be my best option. Right now my stove sounds like firecrackers heating up and then when heated will continue to bang away here and there. I was told by a dealer I called that he thought the soapstones would be just fine for me but with their price tag I wanted to hear from others before I tried one.

I would guess the napoleons have a thinner metal used which really contributes to more noise and a higher pitched noise as well. when heating or cooling it sounds almost like a .22 or like your smacking it wth a mallet. I know this one is a louder than most cause even others who have stoves and visit always notice it and say that thing is annoyingly loud. Some have even asked if it just broke when it bangs. I know nothing is wrong with it its just the thinner metal is my guess. but if I am gonna get another one I want to try and avoid the same situation.

@ Highbeam : why did you get rid of the heritage, doesn't heat enough, or anything you didn't like about it.

@ Highbeam : why did you get rid of the heritage, doesn't heat enough, or anything you didn't like about it.

The heritage performed exactly as advertised. I could get overnight burns with it and it heated my 1700SF just fine. Tech support was even very good when I needed it. Dang stove looked great.

I dumped the heritage because after 25 or so cords the hinges had worn to the point that the doors were sagging and the latch mechanism had worn through the machined latch to the point that only a super thin and sharp piece of metal was holding the door shut. To replace these wear items would require a complete stove tear down and rebuild as the entire casting needs to be replaced. The hard hinge pins were in perfect shape. I had only been burning the stove for 6 years.

The heritage is not designed for a real 24/7 long term woodburner. It is more of a decorative stove and it sure is pretty. I dumped the stove before complete failure and replaced it with a more serious and durable heater. No regrets. Now, instead of a max 10 hour burn time I get a max 30 hour burntime.

Status
Not open for further replies.