Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
I dont' know if i have a leak in the back wall of the stove or not...air is completely dampered down but seems like air might be coming in from the back...what do i use to fix this issue? Thanks for any ideas or help!!

Why do you think the back of the stove is the issue? Are there any cracks in the stones?

Why do you think the back of the stove is the issue? Are there any cracks in the stones?

Cracks on the outside stones? Just seems like it is buring unevenly and faster in the back of the stove

Cracks on the outside stones? Just seems like it is buring unevenly and faster in the back of the stove
There are no outside and inside stones. It is one layer of stone. The stone you see on the exterior is the stone you see on the interior. There are no layers or air gaps.

So, if you think you have an air leak in the back of the stove, it should be easy to diagnose.

There are no outside and inside stones. It is one layer of stone. The stone you see on the exterior is the stone you see on the interior. There are no layers or air gaps.

So, if you think you have an air leak in the back of the stove, it should be easy to diagnose.

I took a look on the back of the stove and no visible cracks...i will look on the inside tomorrow obviously right now i can't get a good look.

How are your gaskets on the side door?

Have you done a dollar bill test from multiple points on the door? Maybe the gasket is sitting unevenly creating a gap? Seems doubtful, but, who knows?

Its not coming from the side door i don't think but will test it tomorrow....i will have to see if i can get pictures...there is a metal piece that comes from the top of the stove on the back wall...seems like there is air coming in from there.

Do you have an incense stick or a cigarette (gasp!) ? Even a candle or a stick match can be used to diagnose this issue. The incense or the cigarette will work better, as there is a continuous stream of smoke coming off them. Just pass one of them near where you suspect the air leak to be. The smoke will get sucked into the stove with the air stream. You can use a match or a candle, they just don't smoke as long...

Reactions: Heatsource
Do you have an incense stick or a cigarette (gasp!) ? Even a candle or a stick match can be used to diagnose this issue. The incense or the cigarette will work better, as there is a continuous stream of smoke coming off them. Just pass one of them near where you suspect the air leak to be. The smoke will get sucked into the stove with the air stream. You can use a match or a candle, they just don't smoke as long...

Not to sounds stupid but i assume i go from the outside the incense?

It is very unlikely that you have a leak in the wall of the stove. Hearthstone uses actual metal bars with gaskets between stones. Door gaskets are a possibility. In my experience with leaky back walls of heritage stoves, mine was a leaker too, it is the secondary manifold system. The black riser tube that is in the middle of the rear of the stove is not gasketed, it just sits between the stove base casting and the bolted in place secondary manifold casting on the roof. The "seal" is just that white cement and as we all know, that stuff doesn't stick between iron/stone too well. The next leaky part of that system is the secondary manifold which is actually a split casting that squeezes the tubes. Fresh air can leak out and run down the back wall.

I mostly noticed jets of air blowing out and down from behind the connection between the top of the steel riser tube and the secondary manifold. I goobered rutland furnace cement over the gaps that shot flame which worked for several months at a time but was an ongoing maintenance issue.

Did you fire up the stove after changing the gasket to cure the cement?

+1 on "goobering" the top and bottom seams.

Yes, first use a shopvac to suck clean the areas, then wire brush the seams, wet with water, goober seams, cure per directions, and then test for leaks.

The top manifold is bolted to the back wall and does not squeeze the riser tube. You may be able to rattle it around it is so loose. Other brands use gaskets in this location.

+1, good advice

It is very unlikely that you have a leak in the wall of the stove. Hearthstone uses actual metal bars with gaskets between stones. Door gaskets are a possibility. In my experience with leaky back walls of heritage stoves, mine was a leaker too, it is the secondary manifold system. The black riser tube that is in the middle of the rear of the stove is not gasketed, it just sits between the stove base casting and the bolted in place secondary manifold casting on the roof. The "seal" is just that white cement and as we all know, that stuff doesn't stick between iron/stone too well. The next leaky part of that system is the secondary manifold which is actually a split casting that squeezes the tubes. Fresh air can leak out and run down the back wall.

I mostly noticed jets of air blowing out and down from behind the connection between the top of the steel riser tube and the secondary manifold. I goobered rutland furnace cement over the gaps that shot flame which worked for several months at a time but was an ongoing maintenance issue.

Very good explanation. I basically have fire coming out from behind the black riser tube. So basically you are saying close up the gap between the riser and the back wall?

Yes.

I had the same jet of air. I believe it was shooting down from the ungasketed interface between the riser and the upper cast secondary manifold. My fix was to buy the small tub of furance cement and take a blob of it out about the size of a tablespoon. Roll it into a pencil like shape and lay it on the crack between the back wall and the riser. Moosh it in place. I repeated the sealing around the entire top of the riser too. Can't hurt anything to overseal it.

Over time, the cement will fall off since the steel and the stone don't seem to expand at the same rate.

Yes.

I had the same jet of air. I believe it was shooting down from the ungasketed interface between the riser and the upper cast secondary manifold. My fix was to buy the small tub of furance cement and take a blob of it out about the size of a tablespoon. Roll it into a pencil like shape and lay it on the crack between the back wall and the riser. Moosh it in place. I repeated the sealing around the entire top of the riser too. Can't hurt anything to overseal it.

Over time, the cement will fall off since the steel and the stone don't seem to expand at the same rate.

That explains why when I was moving around the covers on top of the burn tubes on the top some cement came down and it was in strips like you describe. Greatly appreciate your help and everyone else's who replied to this posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.