hearthstone heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Apr 4, 2007
does anyone have the blower kit on their hearthstone stove? It doesnt seem to work real well, I was wondering if one of the fans that sit on top and move the air through convection work well? Will they work with the soapstone or are they made more for cast stoves?
My blower just doesnt seem to move much air, of coarse that may be normal too. Any ideas?

Also, do any of you keep a kettle of water on your stove? Is it worth the hassle of keeping it filled?

I cant anwser you fan question as I am looking at buying a Heritage in the next week or so, but if you dont mind, what are you overall feelings toward the Heritage? Does it heat like you thought? Did you get a price under retail? Not trying to high jack your post, just trying to learn as I go.

Shipper

i seen your initial post and gave a reply. I dont think that the prices that you mentioned were out of line. Im in north central ohio and it seemed like about what I paid.
That being said, this is my first year burning, so I am learning as I go so to speak. But, so far I have been really happy. First gas bill was estimated by columbia gas at $93, I read the meter and called it in, the bill ended up being $25 and the house has been much cozier this year than last. I was tired of freezing my rear end off!!

buckeye,
I bought a Heritage last year and LOVE it!! However, it does take a long time to reach temp. This is also a good thing because it holds heat for a long, long time as I'm sure you know by now. I don't use a stove mounted fan and don't plan on getting one. Your set up might be different but my stove sits in the middle of a new 1550 sq.' house with cathedral ceilings. I make a fire ahead of time and leave the ceiling fans off. Later, I start the fans and that seems to distribute the heat pretty good. I'm still learning tho. Like this morning it was 6 degrees F and I went ahead and tossed 3 pieces in the stove. Well I planed for and get a ton of solar gain and now the sun is pouring in. Could have done with out the fire. I can see where burning 24/7 is where the soap stone heaters shine, but I can't take advantage of that unless it's cloudy all day. I use a lot of kindling but heated last year with under 3 cords. Pros and cons.
Good luck with that stove. Everyone comments on how beautiful it is.
Dan.

I paid much below retail at a going out of business sale. I feel pretty confident that it was a good price and that dealer profit was minimal if any. Brand new and on the crate. Hearthstone is great to deal with even without a dealer acting as middle man.

buckeye, I feel you would be sadly disappointed with one of those fans that sit on top of the stove. They simply can not move enough air to make it worth anything. However, my wife insisted once and bought one. She sent it right back after one day when she saw how little it could do. If you want it for a conversation piece, it might be okay, but other than that, junk.

It is worth putting a pan or kettle of water on top of the stove to add humidity to the air. A couple quarts a day makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.