Hearthstone Heritige

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkuntz413

Jul 12, 2008
eastern Long Island
My Heritage, now burning well for 2 months. Recently, it seem to be more difficult getting in up to 500 on the top surface. 400 is pretty easy, but 500 comes a lot harder. I don't believe it to be the wood. Perhaps high winds recently creating too much draft. I am happy to say that my furnace did come on once for 28 hours from New Years eve to today when i let it go out. It was cold here on eastern Long Island with 50 mph Northwest winds.
Thanks
Happy New Year
Doug

Doug, perhaps it is time to check the chimney?! Also, if too much draft, that stove would run hotter instead of colder.

chimney is clean. I'm thinking I need to try a few times to get my fire going with smaller wood to build it up. It could be my wood, but I think its good also. Like I said its a stretch to go from 400-500-even with a brisk fire doors closed and air intake open full. Perhaps i need to close the air intake just a bit to keep more heat in the box. It just dosen't seem to be acting the same as when new which is 2 months ago.
Thanks
Doug

This is about the time of year when a clean cap becomes clogged and you can't always tell if it is clogged from the ground. Even partially clogged, your chimney could be causing this. As said above, the stove should be performing better as winter sets in due to improved draft from the cold.

As draft increases, the primary air control should be closed farther to get the same amount of air to the stove. Too much air to the stove and more heat will go up the chimney. So yes, keep shutting the draft but not so far as to snuff the fire. My stove will dependably climb to and sustain 450 with the draft completely shut off and a full load of wood. Air intake fully open is just wasting heat. For the most rapid heat up into the area above 500 I have found that about 1/2" open from the closed position is the best once the fire is going well enough.

What's this about "doors closed" as though you sometimes burn with the doors open? You're not supposed to do that.

I just took my good Steiner binoculars in the back yard and took a gander at my cap. The 1/2 mesh rat wire (that I almost think is excessive) is very very plugged. Off to my ex wifes house to fetch my ladder and fix this. I never had to clean my cap with the old defiant, but now think I will take a peak at it every couple of weeks. I also wonder when you have a hard blowing snow like we've had if this might make it plug quicker with the hated black stuff. Thanks again, I am almost sure this will make a difference.
Doug

Look at the air intake is it clear. then look up at the ceramic baffle inside the fire box at the top below the air tubes, is it in place, close to the air tubes. These are the two places I check first. As i have a filter on the air intake it gets plugged. The baffle will get pushed up out of position when reloading small stuff for top down burn starts.

what kind filter doyou have and on what kind of stove ?

Status
Not open for further replies.