Hearthstone Homestead Review after three seasons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they can.

Do you have any idea when Popular Mechanics will have their article about the competition?

Nope, just checked and no info from PM yet.

Thanks begreen.

Well I thought I'd wait until tonight to write this but it's pretty clear how this is going to go. Anyone who isn't a bit of a geek may want to just skip.

As I stated it is brutally cold here today. High was -9 with a -33 wind chill. I wanted to track my up and downstairs temperatures today while running my Hearthstone Homestead with the furnace fan only funning (not providing additional heat). Here are my results, I am pleased to say the least:

Time Outside temperature/windchill Inside temperature basement/upstairs Notes
0800 -19/-41 67/71 Coals-loaded stove at 0806. NG furnace running
0900 -17/-42 71/72 NG furnace no longer running fan on only. Stove set to low
1000 -15/-38 73/72 stove on low fan running
1100 -14/-38 72/72 stove on low fan running
1200 -12/-37 74/73 stove on low fan running
1300 -12/-37 74/74 stove on low fan running
1400 -9/-33 74/75 stove on low fan running
1500 -10/-32 73/75 loaded stove and air control wide open
1600 -10/-33 74/75 stove back on low fan on NG furnace running still not providing any heat
1700 -10/-31 74/75 stove on low fan running.

I'm sitting next to it right now and we are slow cooking a pork roast on it. I have lived with this stove 3 years but this is the first time I've been this scientific in gathering data for how it heats our home. It is more even than I expected and obviously the squirrel cage on my furnace helps move the air. This is officially the coldest conditions I've run it in and suffice it to say this stove does what I need it to and more. Had I wanted to I could have made it too hot in here today.

SDWoodburner...I am brand new to this site and looking for ideas and insights. I have been considering the Hearthstone Homestead for my home and have a few questions for you , the now seasoned woodburner. My home is small (1000 sf) and the fireplace is centrally located. I am wondering if this stove is too much for my small place. I also noticed you mention having "low fan running". Is this an option or are you just using a small separate fan to circulate air? Is the ash tray really pathetic? It is one of the reasons I have considered this particular stove. I would appreciate your insight as well as any other things I should consider.

postman64. I should have wrote, stove on low, furnace fan running. I can see how that was confusing. It's hard to say regarding its sizing for your home. My home is relatively new and insulated well so a smaller stove heats it pretty well. You may just go through less fuel or it may make it very hot in there or it may be just right. Really depends on the layout and insulation, drafts etc.

On the ash tray, you may find it just fine but I personally think it's not useful. It really doesn't matter to me however because I just clean it out of the stove without issue. In the heart of winter I am cleaning it often enough that it just doesn't matter if the tray is good or not. I've never bothered to use it in fact because it would just fill up too quickly. I wouldn't let that deter you from purchasing the stove however. I am really pleased and I would absolutely buy one again. I would likely buy just about any Hearthstone product. Simple is good for this wood burner.

postman64. I should have wrote, stove on low, furnace fan running. I can see how that was confusing. It's hard to say regarding its sizing for your home. My home is relatively new and insulated well so a smaller stove heats it pretty well. You may just go through less fuel or it may make it very hot in there or it may be just right. Really depends on the layout and insulation, drafts etc.

On the ash tray, you may find it just fine but I personally think it's not useful. It really doesn't matter to me however because I just clean it out of the stove without issue. In the heart of winter I am cleaning it often enough that it just doesn't matter if the tray is good or not. I've never bothered to use it in fact because it would just fill up too quickly. I wouldn't let that deter you from purchasing the stove however. I am really pleased and I would absolutely buy one again. I would likely buy just about any Hearthstone product. Simple is good for this wood burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.