Hearthstone Mansfield model 8011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bearingman07936

Apr 16, 2007
We are considering getting this stove. Anyone with any experience with it? Venting out an existing chimney - is a liner necessary, or recommended? We have about 2500 sq ft of room downstairs and its pretty much all open. This is the biggest soapstone stove that we have found.
Any comments would be much appreciated!
Thanks

B-man, I came close to buying one;I think it is a fine stove for your described setting.The high price was the only reason I looked elsewhere.

Welcome, bearing.... yeah that's a real nice, big stove, and I know there's a few membere here who have them. I have its little brother, which I really do like, but cannot comment on that particular model (though I don't think its that much different) As far as the liner, can you describe the size of the setup that is there now? Depending on where you are and what is in place now, a liner may not be necessary, but most likely, it would probably be strongly recommended.

I was recentl;y chatting with a Hearthstone dealer...hea siad that Hearthstone will be introducing a new model - something like 120,000 Btu/hr at 1200 lb. Anyone heard of this? Maybe that's what you need - you could start a foundry in your 2500 sq. ft. house.

Hehehe, a handful of us have seen that stove already. :)

Its very very large. Looks essentially like the mansfield with some slight changes and BIGGER. Side loading door folds down, like the Bennington. Couldn't take pictures though, I was told I wasn't allowed! They didn't have it burning, probably because it would have raised Nevada's overall mean temperature by a few degrees, hah.

Thanks for your input. There is nothing there now. Just an open fireplace, with a standard chimney, however the height of the chimney is probably about 22-25 feet. The opening in the chimney is rather large. The cap on the top we just had put on was 18" x 13".

It might help if I mentioned that the house use to be a barn, thus the open-ness. Also, the second floor has a big opening right close to the fireplace. There is an additional 2500 sq feet upstairs, too. but if the day is sunny enough, the upstairs doesn't need much heat. In fact we've never turned it on upstairs in 15 years.

We would love to have a pellet stove (also corn burning) but the height of the chimney doesn't allow for that.

Another issue is that the roof is quite high, steep, and also slate! Some local distributors (Pt Murray, NJ) said that they don't handle slate roofs.

If you go wood you will probably need a liner, with that large of a chimney you will want to downsize it to a 6" SS liner.

Is the chimney on an outside wall? You could punch the pellet stove or insert right out the back of the masonary chimney.

I also just reviewed the install manual for the Mt Vernon AE and it shows on the vent chart up to 30ft of "equivilant feet" which is actually 60ft of straight verticle venting. I don't know who told you your chimney was too tall.... but they are wrong.

http://quadrafire.com/products/stoves/pelletStoveDetail.asp?f=mtvernon

How large of a firebox are we talking about in this new Hearthstone?120,000btu'shr?That sucker oughta' boil sap into maple syrup! MMMMM-maple syrup :cheese:

The chimney use to be on an outside wall, however there is now a screened in porch there. The chimney is not actually outside all the way. Comes out on the roof. Its a block building.

Thank you for this information! How do you get the "equivilant to verticle" conversion? I ask because more than one dealer has told us the same thing!

jtp10181 said:
If you go wood you will probably need a liner, with that large of a chimney you will want to downsize it to a 6" SS liner.

Is the chimney on an outside wall? You could punch the pellet stove or insert right out the back of the masonary chimney.

I also just reviewed the install manual for the Mt Vernon AE and it shows on the vent chart up to 30ft of "equivilant feet" which is actually 60ft of straight verticle venting. I don't know who told you your chimney was too tall.... but they are wrong.

http://quadrafire.com/products/stoves/pelletStoveDetail.asp?f=mtvernon

Status
Not open for further replies.