Hearthstone Mansfield Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linckeil

Mar 3, 2008
newtown ct
hello all, i am new and this appears to be a great forum. i wish i came across it earlier.

i am considering the purchase of a hearthstone mansfield model wood burning stove. a friend of mine has a used one installed in what used to be a fireplace that i may buy from him. i am wondering when (year) the mansfield model was first introduced and what, if any, changes were made over the years. i know that in the late 1980's / early 1990's that the EPA began certifying stoves and that EPA certified stoves are considered to be one third more efficient. does this mean that if the mansfield model i am considering is pre 1990 that it will be less efficient than a new mansfield? unfortunately the safety label which would indicate the date of manufacture is not currently visible as the back of the stove is not accessible and cannot be seen until the stove is removed. in addition to when it was introduced and any changes made over the years, are there certain model years that i should avoid? any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

anyone??

ok, how about this - for those of you that own a mansfield, what year was your stove manufactured? at least that will give me some idea as to how long this model has been in production. thanks.

HI, take a look inside the firebox. If the stove has secondary burn tubes in the ceiling of the firebox it is a newer stove, if not an older one. I don't think that the Mansfield has been made that long.
If it doesn't have secondary burn tubes you aren't going to get the efficient burn that will give you low wood consumption and higher heat output.
Go to the Hearthstone web site and you can see what the current model looks like.
If you ask them a specific question off the contact link, they will answer you in a day or two.

thanks for the reply. i will look into what you suggest. i did write the contact listed on the hearthstone website last night. i am looking at the stove tonight and i'm hoping to hear back from them soon. but in the mean time any advice people here can offer such as yours is greatly appreciated. thanks again.

No problem, you can see a new one in Plantsville, which is about 40 minutes from you.

yes, at dean's right? i hope to make a trip there soon.
i went to the trading post in new milford over the weekend who is a heathstone dealer, but they didn't have the mansfield model on display.

Dean's is it.
And, Thanks Tom, you are always there!

thanks tom. i'm glad to hear that. so anything after 1996 is EPA certified for sure, right?

will it say "mansfield" anywhere on the stove?

thank you. here is a picture. it sure looks like a mansfield to me from the photo.

are you aware of any changes made in the stove from 1996 to present? or are they all the same?

Attachments

• mansfield1.jpg
    mansfield1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 447
Looks just like mine, which is new this year.

so i just looked at the stove in person. it does have the secondary burn tubes in the ceiling of the stove - 4 of them. it has the dimesions of a mansfield and has all the physical characteristics of a mansfield. but as i said, the label in the rear of the stove is not visible. everything looks to be in great shape. the owner has had it for only a few months, it is too big of a stove for him so he is downsizing. he bought it used from the original owner and he believes the tag on the rear indicates the stove have been built in 1986, but can't remember clearly. but being it has all characrterisitcs of a mansfield, i am 99% convinced it is in fact a mansfield, so it has to be built in 1996 or newer.

anyway, what would a fair price for this stove be? a good cleaning and it should be like new. anything i should replace on it? the rope seal on the door looks like it could use a replacement.

Just an aside, it's unusual for people to replace their stove because it's too large. It's generally the other way around. This is the second time I've seen someone sell a Mansfield because it was too much stove for their needs. Those are really good heat producers!

looks like my Mansfield new this year I went over kill on mine as I did not want to upgrade down the road and yes it puts out the heat when you fill the box full which I don't do very often unless I want the house to go to 90 and above or if the temp drops to the single digits. If I fill it about half full I get good long burn times a coal bed in the morning or evening and the house stays in the 78-82 range.

Anything under 2000 and you have a steal. You could most likely get a new one now for about 2400. I'd try an offer of 1600.
It is the Mansfield. Not much to do to from what I can see. If you don't get it let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.