Hearthstone Mansfield overfire repair idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman1

Hearth Supporter
Mar 12, 2009
Northern Michigan
I own a 8010 Mansfield that has a warped stone cage or the top casting which holds the stones on the horizontal top surface has some warpage of the stone support cage and after reading an earlier thread from another Mansfield owner have my own idea. I have priced the top casting on a 8010 1997 Mansfield and it seems to go from around $200.00 to $400.0 and the further away the dealer is the lower the price, go figure.

This may be blasphemos but, what if a guy was to replace the top stones with a piece of 1/2 thick steel plate cut to fit the top with the advantage of being able to bolt it down and just cut out the warped steel braces-cage. I have been thinking of how to make my repair as easy as possible and have consulted some Old Salts or should I say Old Soaps and some say if it is not broke don`t fix and others say it junk buy a new stove and yet others advise replacing the top casting and resetting the stones.

My stones are not sagging in and really the only reason I am even thinking about doing anything about this is because I read too much and now have the perception that something must be done about this.

Anyone have a thought on this matter?

Bushman

Bushman1, It would be nice to see some pics! Without seeing it is hard to help. If you put the steel plate in what are you going to do with the stones? I would consider placing them on top since they are in good shape. I will say that giving up on the ole' girl would be a last resort. After all, the rest is in good shape I assume. Plus, it is something you can be proud in.... sweat equity! And custom. Good luck!

After more consideration on the steel , I am now thinking of using a thickness of steel plate ( 1" ) which whould set up as high as the stones and having the edges beveled. Going to run the dimensions past a local steel fabricator and ball park my cost on this idea.

Bushman

If the stones aren't sagging then what makes you think that the top is warped?

Also, consider the weight of that 1" steel plate. I would not want to make the steel top heavier than the stone top.

My top casting is not warped , only the support cage that is used to hold the stones has some sag to it in a few spots. If you have seen an earlier thread with pictures of another guys green Mansfield top c asting, mine looks like that also. I have not taken mine apart and really dont want to. I just considered this as a easy and maybe better solution to having to replace the top casting and fooling with those stones. I dont reckon the steel would weigh enough to cause any trouble.

I had to get a new computer and lost my software for my digital camera or else I would post pictures.

Bushman

I would recommend taking the pictures of the sagging webwork and sending them to JimC at Hearthstone. Asking whether the sagging lattice of iron would cause the need for any work or whether "that's the way they all get". It's free to ask the manufacturer and this information might prevent you from ruining a prefectly good stove.

Okay Dave you lured me in, now I'll have to poke around your site for a few hours. Thanks for contributing!

Status
Not open for further replies.