HearthStone Mansfield repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fryed

Nov 4, 2007
Wisconsin
Hi everyone... As the title suggests, I have an existing HearthStone Mansfield that was in the house when I bought it a year and a half ago. We used the stove last winter and were happy with the performance. Unusual for me, I actually read the manual before I used it and followed the instructions as best I could. However, (you knew that was coming, right?) I overfired it a few times last season and fear I've damaged some of the internal parts. Specifically, I'm afraid the air intake system has become warped or something. It seemed that when we first started using it last season the fire would all but go out when I shut down the primary air control. Now, however, shutting down the primary air control will lessen the flames but not to the extent that I would expect. As a result, it is hard to regulate the temperature to prevent further overfirings. I have reached underneath and confirmed that if I put my fingers (with gloves on, I'm not that dumb) over the two holes on the bottom of the stove near the back the flams will diminish significantly. To me, this further confirms that the air intake regulation system is not working correctly.

So, after that lengthy description, is it possible to get at the parts for the air intake stuff myself? I can't find any diagrams in the manual or online to suggest to me how to get at the parts. Or do I just need to call in a pro? I'd rather look at this myself and see what I can do first. I'm handy and curious and would like to understand how this thing works.

I thank you for any insight you folks might provide.

Dan

First check the door seals and the ash door seal. The air is going into your stove could be past the door gaskets. Search the site for instructions dollar bill test, light test. Door gaskets ware out after a couple of years of constant use.

Status
Not open for further replies.