Hearthstone Morgan door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPLUMB

Aug 18, 2006
Does anybody know the Morgan door gasket size? Its been through 2 seasons should I change it? It seems fine but sometimes one corner of the glass gets dirty, So I may try the door seal if I can find the right size. Thanks

I looked in the manual, the dealer CD, and the web, hearthstone states to call your dealerto order a kit, LAME. I guess i will have to call hearthstone to find out the size.

seaken said:
Try this link:

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood_stoves/morgan/technical_specs.shtml

On the bottom of the page is a link to the owner's manual. That should tell you what you need to know.

You might want to check the glass gasket also.

Sean

Nope. The manual does not tell you what sizes of gasket are used. Apparently, Hearthstone considers this privileged information only disseminated by an authorized dealer. Any HS dealers here?

I'm so used to the manuals having a section for maintenance instructions (VC, LOPI, etc.) that I assumed Hearthstone would have something similar. Sorry.

Sean

Its strange that they dont list it, open your door and look. Does it look unique? like a "tadpole" gasket, or is it round (which might look flat because of the door pressing against it) the window gasket is standard tape gasket. It might be the door gasket is a strage design and thats why they dont list it. Most all there other stoves its listed.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Its strange that they dont list it, open your door and look. Does it look unique? like a "tadpole" gasket, or is it round (which might look flat because of the door pressing against it) the window gasket is standard tape gasket. It might be the door gasket is a strage design and thats why they dont list it. Most all there other stoves its listed.

Its just normal round? I just did the dollar bill test and I can pull it out so I guess its time to replace. If you can help I would appreciate it very much. I just noticed that it does't look like they used any gasket cement from the factory? Doyou think thats right? Thanks Aaron

If its plain round gasket, then cut a sample and take it to your local hearth shop. Rhone has a hearthstone insert, maybe he can verify weither or not the gasket is glued. There stoves are. The new trend seems to be a channel that the gasket pushes into with no cement, but i doubt your insert is designed that way. It must be glued in some spots, otherwise it would fall out?

The gasket around my door fits in a track that's about 1 cm, held in place with gasket cement. I haven't had to replace mine, it's difficult to tell what it is because put a round rope into a square channel and use & abuse it for some time and the round rope will become squared so I don't know if it started out as 3/8" rope, 1/2" rope, or 5/8" rope.

If you look here on pages 31 & 32 of the manual for the Clydesdale that gives you some good pictures of it. If using the page numbers Acrobat reader tells you, it's pages 32 & 33 for the Clydesdale. Here's a list of stove ropes Rutland makes along with stove gasket cement. Places sell kits if you figure out what size rope it was originally, it doesn't look anything more than gasket rope pushed into the channel in my case. The morgans looks exactly like mine, judging by it's manual [url="http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/documents/Morgan8470Manual.pdf]here on pages 27 and 29[/url]

If someone here is a Hearthstone dealer I would appreciate this info. I no longer have a local Hearthtsone dealerThanks

THANKS MoutainStoveGuy!!!! I just got back in town I really appreciate you doing that for me!! Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.