1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hearthstone Morgan door gasket?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by IPLUMB, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IPLUMB

IPLUMB Member

Does anybody know the Morgan door gasket size? Its been through 2 seasons should I change it? It seems fine but sometimes one corner of the glass gets dirty, So I may try the door seal if I can find the right size. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. seaken

seaken Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shokan, NY
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    I looked in the manual, the dealer CD, and the web, hearthstone states to call your dealerto order a kit, LAME. I guess i will have to call hearthstone to find out the size.
  4. seaken

seaken Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shokan, NY
    Nope. The manual does not tell you what sizes of gasket are used. Apparently, Hearthstone considers this privileged information only disseminated by an authorized dealer. Any HS dealers here?

I'm so used to the manuals having a section for maintenance instructions (VC, LOPI, etc.) that I assumed Hearthstone would have something similar. Sorry.

Sean
  5. IPLUMB

IPLUMB Member

6. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    Its strange that they dont list it, open your door and look. Does it look unique? like a "tadpole" gasket, or is it round (which might look flat because of the door pressing against it) the window gasket is standard tape gasket. It might be the door gasket is a strage design and thats why they dont list it. Most all there other stoves its listed.
  7. IPLUMB

IPLUMB Member

Its just normal round? I just did the dollar bill test and I can pull it out so I guess its time to replace. If you can help I would appreciate it very much. I just noticed that it does't look like they used any gasket cement from the factory? Doyou think thats right? Thanks Aaron
  8. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    If its plain round gasket, then cut a sample and take it to your local hearth shop. Rhone has a hearthstone insert, maybe he can verify weither or not the gasket is glued. There stoves are. The new trend seems to be a channel that the gasket pushes into with no cement, but i doubt your insert is designed that way. It must be glued in some spots, otherwise it would fall out?
  9. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

The gasket around my door fits in a track that's about 1 cm, held in place with gasket cement. I haven't had to replace mine, it's difficult to tell what it is because put a round rope into a square channel and use & abuse it for some time and the round rope will become squared so I don't know if it started out as 3/8" rope, 1/2" rope, or 5/8" rope.

If you look here on pages 31 & 32 of the manual for the Clydesdale that gives you some good pictures of it. If using the page numbers Acrobat reader tells you, it's pages 32 & 33 for the Clydesdale. Here's a list of stove ropes Rutland makes along with stove gasket cement. Places sell kits if you figure out what size rope it was originally, it doesn't look anything more than gasket rope pushed into the channel in my case. The morgans looks exactly like mine, judging by it's manual [url="http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/documents/Morgan8470Manual.pdf]here on pages 27 and 29[/url]
  10. IPLUMB

IPLUMB Member

If someone here is a Hearthstone dealer I would appreciate this info. I no longer have a local Hearthtsone dealerThanks
  11. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
  12. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    Hearthstone says 3/8 th's low density or high will work.
  13. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

MSG, did you happen to catch what the Clydesdales is?
  14. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    I didnt, shall i call back?
  15. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

I'd really, really appreciate it if you don't mind.
  16. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    rhone, i didnt forget about you, they didnt call me back yet, i will follow up tommorrow at work.
  17. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    3/8 on the clydsdale as well.
  18. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

Thanks MoutainStoveGuy!
  19. IPLUMB

IPLUMB Member

THANKS MoutainStoveGuy!!!! I just got back in town I really appreciate you doing that for me!! Aaron
  20. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    glad i could help, if you need anything else, just ask.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.