Hearthstone Phoenix 2003 model vs buying new

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagle77

Jan 8, 2009
NH VT MA border
Hi All,

First post but have been reading quite a bit on here the last few days.

I am considering buy a new Jotul or Hearthstone wood stove, I prefer the Jotul but the wife like the Hearthstone; as a replacement for our existing stove(see below for current setup). I have located a Phoenix stove that is from 2003 and looks to be in great condition from the photos (outside only) and in talking with the current owner on the phone he seems to have done all the right things as far as using the stove goes. The price is much better than that of a new stove but not really a steal. As this is the stove my wife really wants I am tempted to buy it but am worried that there may have been changes in the design in the last five years and I would be better off buying a new stove. I am hoping a few of the Hearthstone fans will have some advice for me.

My wife and I purchased our first house over the summer and are looking to replace our Ashley wood stove; maybe between 10-20 years old with something more aesthetically pleasing. We live in a 1500 sq ft 1-1/2 story cape style house with good to poor insulation. The wood stove we have now has no trouble keeping the house around 70 degrees in all the rooms except the one the stove is in (much warmer) with a fan in each door one blowing in the other out. We also have a ceiling fan in the stove room.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.