hearthstone phoenix door hinge "slop"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoot-straight

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2012
Kennedyville, MD
new guy here.

my 7 YO pheonix has developed some "slop" in the hinge of the door. the door is cast iron. upon further inspection, the door has 2 holes and simply hangs on 2 pins that are bolted to the face of the stove. the top hole has elongated a little and now the stove door wont close super tight on the top seal/gasket. we have to lift up on the door a bit to get it to seal right. as a stop gap, i covered the pin with some alum foil to act as a bushing and it seems to help but i need a perm fix. other ideas were to weld an appropriate sized washer on the bottom to the hole.

i called the dealer, he said they would have to replace the whole door, and remove the face of the stove? NO WAY! that would be an expensive repair! i was thinking of taking the door to a machine shop and having them drill it out, and put in a sleeved bushing, a brass one. i cant belive that they didnt put some kind of sacrifical bushing in there from the start.

any thoughts, suggestions, experiences?

brett

After 7 years, it is bound to egg out. I would indeed ask a machinist (if you can find one) about a bushing. You should know better than to think any manufacturer in these times would want to sell you anything less than a new door. Consider yourself lucky that they didn't suggest a new stove!

However, that being said, I would examine all the other factors with the door. Are there any other defects? It might be worth investing in a new door if it will add to the life of the stove. Many parts do warp and change shape and size over time with cast iron, it is unavoidable. If your seal is still good, go for the small fix.

Installing a bushing should be as easy as a call to McMaster Carr to order it up and the right size drill.

Let us know how it works out. My heritage's doors are both saggy now since the cast iron hinge pin holes have egged out. It forces the very lousy latch mechanism out of alignment and makes that system die even quicker.

Rather than a factory bushing, how about making the pin of a softer material than the hinge material. That way the pin would wear out first. Easily replaced.

You're not alone with the droopy hearthstone door. My feeling is that these stoves are not meant to be used as full time heaters for a significant length of time. 5-7 years seems to be it.

shoot-straight said:
i called the dealer, he said they would have to replace the whole door, and remove the face of the stove?

The reason for that is that Hearthstone fits each door to the door frame. IIRC,
they use the frame as a fixture to ensure there is a "dead nuts" match. The doors
are cast in Spain at the Hergom Foundry. The minor variations in the castings kinda
preclude any other way of ensuring the fit, unless more extensive machining operations
are added to the process. Hearthstone Stoves ALREADY have a high price, so there's no
sense in adding unnecessary manufacturing costs...
You may be successful getting a machine shop to bush the door, but to line it up as good
as the OEM assembly was, you'll probably have to give them the frame as a locating fixture...

If this problem is widespread it strikes me as unacceptable. I have a 20 year old Dutchwest whose doors seal as well as ever they did, needing only new gaskets every five years or so.

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
This is the first time I've read about HS door issues. For the price I would sure expect they could last 30yrs without any significant problems.

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
wkpoor said:
This is the first time I've read about HS door issues. For the price I would sure expect they could last 30yrs without any significant problems.

me too. im pretty dissapointed with that.

the fact that they didnt put a replaceable bushing is burning me up-pardon the pun

Hearthstone will likely warranty the castings and send you a new one for free! You then need to replace it on your own dime and this is not a simple thing to replace. Maybe one of the dealers on this site has had experience with changing out panels, or even stones, which are similar effort.

This is the deal with the door latch. When it finally snaps and I can no longer close the door, the lifetime warranty on the castings will cover the replacement cost but not the labor.

I don't know if any stove maker uses replacable bushings such as you would find on car door hinges. The Hearthstone hinges, like their latches, are very small and detailed.

Highbeam said:
Hearthstone will likely warranty the castings and send you a new one for free! You then need to replace it on your own dime and this is not a simple thing to replace. Maybe one of the dealers on this site has had experience with changing out panels, or even stones, which are similar effort.

This is the deal with the door latch. When it finally snaps and I can no longer close the door, the lifetime warranty on the castings will cover the replacement cost but not the labor.

I don't know if any stove maker uses replacable bushings such as you would find on car door hinges. The Hearthstone hinges, like their latches, are very small and detailed.

did you talk to a dealer or hearthstone?

funny, my dealer didnt say anything about the warranty. its "limited lifetime", ill give it a read then call them again.

Hearthstone direct. Jim C to be specific but I was referring specifically to the failure of the door frame casting where the latch mechanism wears it thin and razor sharp.

The chimneysweep has warranty information for hearthstones on-line.

After 7 years, it is bound to egg out. I would indeed ask a machinist (if you can find one) about a bushing. You should know better than to think any manufacturer in these times would want to sell you anything less than a new door. Consider yourself lucky that they didn't suggest a new stove!

However, that being said, I would examine all the other factors with the door. Are there any other defects? It might be worth investing in a new door if it will add to the life of the stove. Many parts do warp and change shape and size over time with cast iron, it is unavoidable. If your seal is still good, go for the small fix.

Let introduce me in this forum, because I'm new in this.

I've got two stoves 2 and 9 years ago, and I haven't had any problems. I agree with you, 'firebroad'.
Thanks for this forum, it's very interesting for our.

Best,

well, here is the outcome- the dealer i bought the stove from, Bylers (dover de) was able to get me a warranty claim for the door. all i had to do was pay the shipping. the mounted the glass and put a gasket in as well. it didnt want to seal right, so i had them do a service call to adjust it. im still not totally thrilled with the way it seals up, but i am with bylers. they stepped up big time.

I don't understand. Did you get the labor and parts covered to repalce the casting on a 7 year old door? You had to pay for shipping the entire stove, the door castings, what? Was your whole stove torn apart in your living room?

Status
Not open for further replies.