Hearthstone Phoenix questions....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WatersEdge

Feb 7, 2015
Newport, North Carolina
So long story short....I am on the hunt for a wood stove to heat my 1400sqft home. I had my eye on a VC Dutch west and after driving 3.5 hours the lady sold it before I got there. Extreme Anger management was NEEDED!!!!! So I hav found a HearthStone Phoenix at a reasonable price but I don't see much info on these stoves. Anyone have some feed back on these? I am installing a DuraPlus 6" chimney that will be about 9' from the ceiling. Any advice would be awesome!! Thanks Nate

I've only seen the Phoenix on the store floor. In some ways it was like a smaller Mansfield It looks like a good stove and should be right sized for your climate. If you haven't bought the pipe already I would suggest going with DuraTech instead. It is a better grade of pipe and easier to install with its smaller diameter.

If you search here for info on soapstone stoves you will find lots of good stuff. With your climate, I would question whether a soapstone stove of any make is the best bet. I own one and it does take 30 min with a good fire to feel warm, then another 30 before it's warming the room. Yes, you can shorten that time if you want a roaring fire but that's the normal time frame. The real question is: how will you be using it?

So, if you want to take the chill out of the evening, a soapstone will do that but much more slowly that a cast iron stove. I burn mine 24/7 all winter and I love it for that. Nothing better IMHO. In the shoulder seasons when I just want to heat the house in the evening, I wish I had a smaller cast iron stove to get hot fast and let it die afterwards.

If the price is right and the stove has no problems, it might be worth the slower warm ups.

The Phoenix is a great heater, combining cast iron front and back with soapstone on the top and sides. It was built to try and marry the benefits of soapstone heat retention with cast iron quicker heatup times. I think its a very nice looking model too and is somewhat reasonably priced for a HS. The Mansfield still is my favorite HS, but brings bags of money....

How right is the price? Do you have any idea how old it is? I think you can learn how to do a small quick fire to knock the chill off on warmer days, it just takes practice. For the Heritage, you have to check the hinge pins holes in the casting and the latches for wear. Not sure about the latch on the Phoenix. If the hardware looks solid, plan on using some high temp grease or graphite on those parts to be safe, I do whether really needed or not. I think that one will keep you warm on the coldest of days! They are beautiful stoves.

So OP, what did you decide to do? I've been off the forum for a while and missed seeing this thread until now.

If you still have questions, I am a Phoenix owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.