Hearthstone Phoenix VS Quadrafire Isle Royal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptSteve

Nov 15, 2010
Mn-Wisc
HEYYYY--first post----be kind---- I've had a Hearthstone Phoenix for 4 yrs and have never been happy with the preformance of the stove---same old thing--slow to warm up--hard to get to temp.

Now I have a chance to buy a Quad Isle Royal for a good price--kind of a closeout unit--and need to have some input about the heat output differences--I understand the Soapstone thinking but really did not care for that in real life---the IR seams to have better air control.

My chinmey has a liner and the Phoenix preforms as it should--I burn 2 year old Oak that is covered and dry--I'm just not happy with the heat output---------any comments----Thanks Steve

Greetings Steve. The Isle Royale is a more radiant, higher temperature heater with greater fuel capacity and consequently, greater output.

And with the startup air option, it doesn't take long for a box full of fire to happen. I can be running over 500F in 20 min. without even trying.

I have been running one for many years now. No problems to report on and nothing but a smile on my face.

Edit: full disclosure...there was this one hinge pin I had to tap back into place a couple of years ago...

Thanks for the reply guys---I am leaning toward replacing the Phoenix--It just takes forever to start producing heat and I'm begining to think I'm burning way to much wood to get the job done---I'm a little concerned about keeping the Quad airtight with all the doors and gaskets--any issues there???

CaptSteve said:
I'm a little concerned about keeping the Quad airtight with all the doors and gaskets--any issues there???

In all honesty, I don't use the top load feature, so there is no reason for that gasket to wear out. The door gaskets are still the original and this stove has been in operation for 8 years (I think, need to check on that). The gaskets show no signs of degrading or lack of sealing. The stove is VERY controllable, as long as you like heat. They like to run 600F (+).

Ive sold a bunch of IRs on Long Island. Never had an unhappy customer that I can remember. Quad makes a good wood burning stove. As mentioned before, its going to have a higher surface temp and hold more wood which will equal more btus in the house.

OK---I'm going in to buy the Quad----I talked to the owner of the shop today and he gave the Isle Royal a great review---as he would---he said that he REALLY thought the stove was as good as it gets------??????? SOOOOOOOOO---what do you think??????

CaptSteve said:
OK---I'm going in to buy the Quad----I talked to the owner of the shop today and he gave the Isle Royal a great review---as he would---he said that he REALLY thought the stove was as good as it gets------??????? SOOOOOOOOO---what do you think??????

The above posts already said it is a great stove. I have never seen a post that gave negative feed back on the Isle. Great looking stove, too.

CaptSteve said:
I talked to the owner of the shop today and he gave the Isle Royal a great review---as he would---he said that he REALLY thought the stove was as good as it gets------???????

I may be a little biased, but for a quality built stove - I really don't know of a cast unit that I would rate higher. I just simply can't think of a unit that I would consider "better built". For what ever that is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.