Hearthstone Santa Fe air mixture issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhunterjac

Jan 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
We recently bought a used Santa Fe propane stove. Had it installed and a propane line run to it. Our issue is that the glass door and the inside of the firebox keeps getting covered with soot. We have an approx 3 foot vertical rise then horizontal out the wall venting. I have the draft adjusted to fully open. In the owners book is explains how to adjust the air mixture. HOWEVER... the adjustment bolt has been broken off. Hearthstone said there is no replacement part. There is a hole where it was. Thru the hole is a piece of metal that I feel is the adjustment piece which the bolt pushed in or out on. Is anybody familiar with the adjustment on this stove? Does it adjust in and out, or does this metal piece turn CW and CCW to adjust? I have photos if I can figure out how to post them.
I was able to thread a bolt thru this hole and roughly adjust it. If this works I can epoxy a washer and bolt onto the back of the stove and put a bolt thru and a lock nut as a permanent adjustment. If I turned in the bolt about 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch the flames would turn totally blue and if I back it out they would turn more yellow. What is the correct adjustment?
Ideas or suggestions??

try to get a mixture of mostly blue with just a little yellow on the tips of the flame.

Reactions: DAKSY
Like xtrordinair said: Blue at the bottom with yellow tips. If you are getting the flames turn to COMPLETELY blue, you have the ATF all the way open. tweak it closed in 1/4 turn increments til you get the yellow tips...If you start to get dark ORANGE tips, you need to open it a bit.... After about 20 minutes, you may notice more yellow. That's when you know the ATF is correct. Lock the adjusting screw & you should never have to touch it again....

THANKS...!! So far with this temporary bolt in, the glass hasn't sooted up. Although it's been kind of warm the last few days and the stove hasn't run much. The flames look blue on the bottom and then yellow. With the bolt being broken off it must have been running completely closed and causing the sooting.
I'll leave this temp bolt in a few more days and if it stays clean I'll epoxy my permanent fix to the back of the stove and re-adjust it.

Reactions: DAKSY
THANKS...!! So far with this temporary bolt in, the glass hasn't sooted up. Although it's been kind of warm the last few days and the stove hasn't run much. The flames look blue on the bottom and then yellow. With the bolt being broken off it must have been running completely closed and causing the sooting.
I'll leave this temp bolt in a few more days and if it stays clean I'll epoxy my permanent fix to the back of the stove and re-adjust it.
sounds like you got it dialed in .Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.