Hearthstone says NO to BioBricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if the warranty doesn't cover damage from an over fire anyway, why does it matter what you burn? Maybe just a warning to the user that compressed brick products are more likely to cause an overfire, but to say flat out "NO" is a little strong IMO.

Reactions: wkpoor
Well, if the warranty doesn't cover damage from an over fire anyway, why does it matter what you burn? Maybe just a warning to the user that compressed brick products are more likely to cause an overfire, but to say flat out "NO" is a little strong IMO.

That's a good point.

I specifically asked my dealer if Bio voided the warranty on my Hearthstone and they said no. I wish I got that in writing. The lack of follow up research is my fault...not that I would have bought a different stove anyway. But, I have a ton of bio and will be using it....of course being very careful with the stovetop temp.

I have some bricks from TSC. I tried a few and was pretty bored with them. I have four bundles left, and I'm gonna load them up one of these days.

BK says
THIS STOVE IS FOR USE WITH SOLID WOOD FUEL ONLY.
Do not burn trash, paper, pine branches or artificial fire logs. Such abuse may void the warranty.

[QUOTEBK says
THIS STOVE IS FOR USE WITH SOLID WOOD FUEL ONLY.
Do not burn trash, paper, pine branches or artificial fire logs. Such abuse may void the warranty.][/QUOTE]
Compressed bricks are solid fuel.

Another problem is that some firelogs use wax as a binder. These are the mass produced logs available in every grocery store. Duraflame logs for example are definitely not meant for burning in a wood stove or insert. They are strictly for open hearth burning.

Always look for compressed that states no binder added. If nothing on package check with mfg. The really good systems do not need an added binder, although just a smidgen of vegetable/or similar oil might be added for a bit of lubrication.

6 bio bricks on reload, pull the coals forward, stack 4 bricks against the back wall in 2 columns, one row of bricks in front, put some kindling and a larger split spanning the front bricks and coals. Wait 5 minutes, start dialing the air back and enjoy the secondaries for many hours. 8 hours later, recognizable chunks of glowing brick coals and stove top at 150. Stove top never went over 500.

Lessons learned:
Bio bricks pretty good (although still a little too pricey for regular use)
DO NOT even think about filling the stove with them!

I've loaded more than that and had a similar, nicely controllable fire. The trick is to make them slowly burn by stacking tightly and with alternate direction layering so that there are no air gaps between the bricks. That works to deliver a nice slow burn.

I've never burned them before but seriously thinking about it since I only got about 1/2 the wood I need for the winter. I have a Jotul and Hearthstone and they both say not to in the manuals. I found a source right close by of slab wood, some of it burns well some not so great, but overall not so great in my epa stoves. I hope to use that just in my old stove in the basement, and maybe suppliment bricks in the newer stoves. That sucks about the pricing though, I've never shopped for them not sure where I can get any except I do have a TSC somewhat close.

Status
Not open for further replies.