Hearthstone Temperature Monitoring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linckeil

Mar 3, 2008
newtown ct
The inspector came out on Friday and signed off on my Hearthstone Mansfield install, so that night, i did the small break-in fire as described in the manual. Since then i've had 2 real fires. I place the temp gauge (one of those spring loaded 3" round ones) on the top center stone of the stove (as indicated in the manual).

The manual describes a "high burn" of up to 600 degress F. I keep a close eye on it and got it as hot as 550. once it hits 500 i close the stove damper entirely and i close the stovepipe damper half way. mine reaches 550 with ease. just pack the firebox and give it about 2 hours. once i close the dampers it holds steady

For those with a Mansfield, how do you monitor your stove temps and how hot do you let it get?

Sounds about like mine except I have to dampen it down sooner. I have been over 600 more than once if I space off. I am no splitting my wood into larger pieces as this helps keep it a more consistent temperature.

If it is packed with smaller splits one is just asking for a major over fire with this stove.

Sounds like you've got it figured out. I wouldn't change a thing except that I don't always need 550 and will run down to a 400 cruise temp. So you might fuss around with trying to hold that lower temp. That mansfield at 550 is making some major mojo.

thanks guys. sounds like i'm doing ok. i have plenty of larger splits that i'll try out. like i said, i never had it above 550 (and don't see a reason why i would want to) but it's not hard to reach that temp. i'd just be concerned if i "spaced off" i could exceed 600.

i'm climbing the learning curve pretty fast. i can't wait until i have it mastered. soapstone is a different ball game when compared to the steel stoves i'm used to.... but so far i'm loving it. the additional wait needed to get up to temp is well worth the radiant heat and the extended heat life.

Status
Not open for further replies.