Hearthstone woodstove handle problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2009
Mid-Michigan
I have a Heartstone Tribute stove which has been installed/running for 13 months. I have recently noticed the door latch has become increasingly more difficult to turn. I applied graphite to lubricate but didnt seem to do much. This morning I heard a grinding, much like a spring grinding. The latch is a D style. Any suggestions to disassemble and clean?

Attachments

• DSC01979.jpg
    DSC01979.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 698
  • DSC01980.jpg
    DSC01980.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 365
Talk to the dealer.

I had a homestead with a door handle that failed. Spring issues. Factory said it was a know problem and the dealer replaced it off of a floor model.

to take apart VERY easy, if it is/was like the one on my Mansfield. Look on chrome portion of handle, you shjould see a set screw, un screw set screw and unscrew handle portion , boom,comes apart from internal rod. You may want to get the "new" handle/rod assembly they are much larger and seem to be much better. See my thread below.... my replacement was under warranty

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62794/

As far as cleaning, and upkeep, I would think simply putting on some graphite would do it. The only other thing I can say is it is to me a good idea to give a slight push when latching the door, this way the catch portion is less likely to wear. Just a simple slight push in to minimize contact when latching.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.