Hearthstones available - 10% discount

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edthedawg

Minister of Fire
Hi all - had opportunity to visit my excellent stove shop last night for some supplies, and was talking with the guys about how great and moneysaving everything is these days now that we're all burning with wood and our ravenous oil consumption is down to a trickle... I'm not alone so i must be doing something right, eh? :)

But the point of this post is to share some good news: They have Hearthstones on sale, and in stock! 10% off all models. I know someone here was looking for a Mansfield, so I specifically asked about that. With the discount, the matte black finish $3,149 Mansfield drops to $2,834. I should have confirmed, but I don't believe that included installation or delivery. Not cheap, but if you're in the market, why not save $300+?

This was at Mainline Heating & Supply, Ashford, CT. Right off I-84, exit 72. http://www.mainlinehs.com 860-429-WOOD

btw - they are completely out of Bio-Bricks, but they do have a plentiful supply of EcoFirelogs, and I'm finding those to be an excellent product for keeping long-lasting, high-temperature fires with marginally seasoned/wet wood.

"btw - they are completely out of Bio-Bricks, but they do have a plentiful supply of EcoFirelogs, and I’m finding those to be an excellent product for keeping long-lasting, high-temperature fires with marginally seasoned/wet wood. "

I know I'm going off topic here, but how do manage that process? I'm about to have a Phoenix installed and my wood is a bit marginal. Do you do a 3:1 ratio or something? Thanks!

It's not that off topic :)

I usually use 1 or 2 per load, depending on how bad the wood is I'm putting in. We're into some wetter stuff lately so i'm using 2 sometimes. But yeah I guess if you think of it from a perspective of measuring log cross-section, it probably works out to about 3:1 for us. 3 oak splits to 1 Firelog. I try to put it into the core of the load - its heat is the most intense so it cooks out any moisture the fastest. If the coal bed is really strong, i can get away without one sometimes...

Please note - this isn't the most recommended way of doing things, i've learned. I'd love to have 10 cords of seasoned, dry wood waiting but we didn't know nearly enough going into this. I'm probably outputting more smoke, and condensing more creosote into the liner than I'd ever like to imagine. So it's a bit of a risk, but we're at least aware of those risks and watching out for them. There's a lot of folks out there just burning whatever they can find that burns...

last night I had a bit of a stubborn situation - got home after being gone 9+ hours, and found a couple little glowing coals. Raked those to the front inlet, threw a handful of shredded cardboard and lath kindling over that in front, with a big split in the back, and an EcoFirelog in between. Then two smaller splits sitting above the Firelog, but with enough gaps to allow air to move thru the pile. This filled the box about 2/3 of the way. Bellows got the carboard and kindling lit really well, but the wood just wasn't having it... Wound up putting another EcoFirelog up top w/ another small split behind it, and a couple more pieces of kindling thrown right in the front. That helped get everything going. It was a good hot stove an hour later, and stayed that way for the next 6 hours... Reloaded around midnight w/ a couple more splits on the coal bed, and at 6am the remaining coals were plenty good to fire up again (no bellows req'd)

Ahhhhhh one of the fist salvos in the upcoming stove price reduction war I'm hoping...crossing fingers. Thanks for the heads up Edthedawg.

WOW...they're up that high? I picked up my Mansfield less than a year ago for $2000. It was a couple years old at that time, but still brand new, never used. Guess I got a good deal.

Hearthstone prices leaped up last year. I too paid less than 2000 for a heritage on sale 1.5 years ago. Today's price is just about 3000$ at Tom's.

Most of our hearth products jumped in price 3X in the LAST YEAR. The price of raw steel was the biggest factor. That was driven by the cost of transportation (i.e. OIL!) & the fact that the steel industry in this country has suffered in the recent decades to the point of our manufacturing capacity is lower than our demands.
We hafta import TOO much of it...
We just put the Hearthstone 10% sign up today...It continues thru the end of February...

savageactor7 said:
Ahhhhhh one of the fist salvos in the upcoming stove price reduction war I'm hoping...crossing fingers.

You and me both. I need an insert for the kitchen.

DAKSY said:
Most of our hearth products jumped in price 3X in the LAST YEAR. The price of raw steel was the biggest factor. That was driven by the cost of transportation (i.e. OIL!) & the fact that the steel industry in this country has suffered in the recent decades to the point of our manufacturing capacity is lower than our demands...

I understand the costs associated with making and delivering a stove was higher for a while, plus demand was very high because of oil costs, but everything (steel and oil) is much cheaper today than it was even a year or more ago... yet stove prices remain at the elevated levels. I have to believe demand is tapering off pretty quickly as well at this point. I'd like to buy a new stove (a BK), but I feel like there needs to be some price reductions before I do so.

Wet1 said:
DAKSY said:
Most of our hearth products jumped in price 3X in the LAST YEAR. The price of raw steel was the biggest factor. That was driven by the cost of transportation (i.e. OIL!) & the fact that the steel industry in this country has suffered in the recent decades to the point of our manufacturing capacity is lower than our demands...

I understand the costs associated with making and delivering a stove was higher for a while, plus demand was very high because of oil costs, but everything (steel and oil) is much cheaper today than it was even a year or more ago... yet stove prices remain at the elevated levels. I have to believe demand is tapering off pretty quickly as well at this point. I'd like to buy a new stove (a BK), but I feel like there needs to be some price reductions before I do so.

Demand aside, they're going to try to charge according to what they paid for the stuff when they bought it, not what the most recent going rate is. Yes, I agree, wait if you can by all means, but understand that the price of anything has to depend heavily on what the materials cost at the time they were ordered by the company, so there's a built-in time lag. Ordinarily, prices for stuff rarely go down once they've gone up and continued to sell, but there's likely to be some serious deflation overall in the coming months so I'd expect they will come down at least somewhat in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.