Heartstone Mansfield alot of smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BURNER21

Jan 21, 2009
Northeast Ohio
Hi I need some help. I have a hearthstone Mansfield that all of a sudden is letting smoke in the house. I open the door to put wood in and smoke rolls out and even when the door is closed starting to get a little smoke as well. I cleaned the pipe going to the chimney it wasn't really dirty. The chimney is clean and has a lot of draw. I have been burning with the same set for the past five years and all of a sudden getting a lot of smoke. I think something is plugged up in the wood burner itself. Not sure though. If anyone can help I would also need to know what needs cleaned and how to go about doing it. If you think that's the problem. Thank you so much.

take off the angle iron on the inside top front of the stove. once out you can remove the baffle and white insulating wool thingy. from there you can inspect the top inside of the stove. real easy no tools needed, mabe a set of gloves. If you dont see any obstructions it most likely is in your chimney.

Most likely culprit is that the ceramic blanket on top of the baffle is blocking the flue exit in the top of the stove.

You say you still have strong draft, but check your chimney cap just be sure it isn't clogged. My stove has been running great, but I swept my chimney and cleaned my pipe today and I'm amazed how much more draft I have. I didn't get a whole lot out of the chimney, but whatever did come out, combined with a little crud in the cap was inhibiting my draft a lot more than I realized.

sauer said:
take off the angle iron on the inside top front of the stove. once out you can remove the baffle and white insulating wool thingy. from there you can inspect the top inside of the stove. real easy no tools needed, mabe a set of gloves. If you dont see any obstructions it most likely is in your chimney.

Thanks I'll do this today pull the angle off and see what i've got thanks for the help I could see the blanket from where the stove pipe goes in but not much of it. I'll take the angle off and look from that direction. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.