Heat and Wind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
We usually have to savor any day over 80 around here. This stretch of 90s - 100s accompanied by good wind has the splits thinking about resplitting themselves and the tomatoes ripening a lot earlier than I have seen before.

Attachments

• 072211 self resplit 1.jpg
    072211 self resplit 1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 627
  • 072211 tomatoes.jpg
    072211 tomatoes.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 619
Yep, except my woods drying great and its too hot for our Tomatoes. What Mators I've got are getting Sun Spots from the intense heat that we are getting. Congrats on a Double stroke of goodness there.

I envy you guys in dryer warmer places. Although, I suppose living in the middle of a hardwood forest where people are always trying to get rid of wood makes keeping 3 times as much around to dry long enough not so bad.

Solar, we average 6 days per year with temperature of 90 or above. We've already exceeded that and there is more to be expected. One good thing about it is that it will make most folks really appreciate the fall weather this year. But then, fall is my favorite time of year too. I love it when it is finally cool. Perfect for me then is temperatures in the 50's during the daytime and 30's at night.

After seeing Jay's garden progress pics, the advantage of 10 degrees is pretty obvious. I'm with you on those 50 degree days. That and those perfect blue sky days in the teens/low 20s are my favorite.

SolarAndWood said:
After seeing Jay's garden progress pics, the advantage of 10 degrees is pretty obvious. I'm with you on those 50 degree days. That and those perfect blue sky days in the teens/low 20s are my favorite.

Wait till you see the next one. Looks like I hit it with steroids! Everything we have is now being eaten. Next week canning and freezing. Cop a weird strong yesterday and pick up 3/4 inch in 10 mins so this week with my 2-1/2 inchs from watering and the rain should be a big week.

smokinjay said:
Wait till you see the next one. Looks like I hit it with steroids!

Sweet. I'm thinking I should have bought a bigger freezer.

Attachments

• 072211 freezer.jpg
    072211 freezer.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 560
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Wait till you see the next one. Looks like I hit it with steroids!

Sweet. I'm thinking I should have bought a bigger freezer.

Awesome.....Hope to catch you soon. Another couple days near 100 and next week low 90's..... :cheese:

smokinjay said:
.Hope to catch you soon

Better hurry, clean livin has been good to me. I swapped bagels and chips for beans, zucs, peas, beets, cukes and zucs and have lost 20 pounds since July 1st.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
.Hope to catch you soon

Better hurry, clean livin has been good to me. I swapped bagels and chips for beans, zucs, peas, beets, cukes and zucs and have lost 20 pounds since July 1st.

Yep Yep, I lost 30lbs over the last year eating much different than I did a year ago! :cheese:

I have another 30 to go :-/

We put the 'maters in late, they're just starting to roll in now. Love those little cherry tomatoes...
SolarAndWood said:
I'm with you on those 50 degree days. That and those perfect blue sky days in the teens/low 20s are my favorite.
Oooo, that's just nasty weather in my book. About 80, just enough heat to break a slight sweat, is perfect weather to me. I'm not a big fan of clothing. I like to feel the whispering breezes on my skin. :coolgrin:

Woody Stover said:
About 80, just enough heat to break a slight sweat, is perfect weather to me

I'm good with that as long as I am on a slalom ski being pulled along by one of my friends power boats ;-)

SolarAndWood said:
Woody Stover said:

I'm good with that as long as I am on a slalom ski being pulled along by one of my friends power boats ;-)

Heck the water here is more than 80 degrees...lol

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
Woody Stover said:

Here too. My wife is doing Ironman Lake Placid tomorrow. It's a good thing its in the Adirondacks. She called me from camp as I was leaving work the other day. My truck said 99 after I was rolling and she said it was 76 with no humidity there. I'm headed up now and looking forward to the high of 72 tomorrow.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
Woody Stover said:

Here too. My wife is doing Ironman Lake Placid tomorrow. It's a good thing its in the Adirondacks. She called me from camp as I was leaving work the other day. My truck said 99 after I was rolling and she said it was 76 with no humidity there. I'm headed up now and looking forward to the high of 72 tomorrow.

Hope she does well! just remember that will give me a couple days to catch you! :cheese:

SolarAndWood said:
We usually have to savor any day over 80 around here. This stretch of 90s - 100s accompanied by good wind has the splits thinking about resplitting themselves and the tomatoes ripening a lot earlier than I have seen before.

Solar the rain is on the way and the gulf is starting to heat up.

zap

Woody Stover said:
We put the 'maters in late, they're just starting to roll in now. Love those little cherry tomatoes...
SolarAndWood said:
I'm with you on those 50 degree days. That and those perfect blue sky days in the teens/low 20s are my favorite.
Oooo, that's just nasty weather in my book. About 80, just enough heat to break a slight sweat, is perfect weather to me. I'm not a big fan of clothing. I like to feel the whispering breezes on my skin. :coolgrin:

The nice part of cutting in the winter is that you can remove clothing as your body starts to heat up. Of course you won't loose too much clothing in late January and Februrary bit it is nice working with your sleeves rolled up and only a pair of light gloves. Don't even have to slap any skeeters then or be concerned about finding a nest of yellow jackets.

The nice part of cutting in the winter is that you can remove clothing as your body starts to heat up. Of course you won’t loose too much clothing in late January and Februrary bit it is nice working with your sleeves rolled up and only a pair of light gloves. Don’t even have to slap any skeeters then or be concerned about finding a nest of yellow jackets.

Yea, or ticks, poison ivy, deer flies, etc. etc. etc.

Backwoods Savage said:
Woody Stover said:
SolarAndWood said:

The nice part of cutting in the winter is that you can remove clothing as your body starts to heat up. Of course you won't loose too much clothing in late January and Februrary bit it is nice working with your sleeves rolled up and only a pair of light gloves. Don't even have to slap any skeeters then or be concerned about finding a nest of yellow jackets.
Yeah, but it's not pretty outside. No leaves on the trees, just a bunch of dead-looking sticks standing there. I like greenery. I'll take the bugs to get the vibrant life of Summer. Yes, late Summer is the time when the chiggers are lurking in the grass, but there are hardly any mosquitoes here. I can sit out on the porch at night and maybe have to swat one here or there. When I lived in WI, those blood-sucking bastages would about carry you away.

For some odd reason, I still see the beauty of the woods during the months without leaf. For one thing, you can see much further. But I have always enjoyed watching the leaves turn and then fall. I've always enjoyed watching the snow fall. I like doing hard work when it is cool to cold outdoors. Then I like coming inside to a good warm wood burning stove.

smokinjay said:
Hope she does well!

Thanks Jay, she is now Ironman. While I still think those people are nuts, I have a lot of respect for anyone that can and chooses to will their body along that long. Pretty cool thing to see.

BTW, I was cold this weekend. Wore jeans most of the weekend and even put a fleece on. I would've lit a fire last night when we got back to camp if I hadn't been up for 24 hours. Extra blanket was easier.

Woody Stover said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Woody Stover said:
SolarAndWood said:

Yeah, but it's not pretty outside. No leaves on the trees, just a bunch of dead-looking sticks standing there. I like greenery. I'll take the bugs to get the vibrant life of Summer. Yes, late Summer is the time when the chiggers are lurking in the grass, but there are hardly any mosquitoes here. I can sit out on the porch at night and maybe have to swat one here or there. When I lived in WI, those blood-sucking bastages would about carry you away.

I'm with you woody, I love it flush with greenery, but I have to say I like it better when there is no humidity, no bugs, and clear blue skies. Guess that is why I am where I am.

Backwoods Savage said:
For some odd reason, I still see the beauty of the woods during the months without leaf. For one thing, you can see much further.
Not that odd, really. I'm with you on the "long view." Seeing a gorgeous sunset through the bare branches on a Winter day is beautiful. The contrast between the glowing sky and the dark branches makes the branches look so sharp and crisp. Hey, I'd better watch it before you have me wishing for Winter! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.