Heat circulating ZC fireplace and insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_S

Sep 29, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello,

I just spoke with the Lennox technical support regarding installing an insert. I was told that they do not recommend placing an insert into a heat circulating fireplace because the vents have to be sealed and this is the manner in which the unit is cooled. Is this good advice or something a technician conjured up? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

John

It might be true, but you would be best to check with the manufacturer. If you didn't plug the vents and the insert did not interfere with those vents I wouldn't see a problem. Many inserts can be installed without modifying the ZC fireplace.

Most ZC inserts specify brands and models on the manuals or literature.
On a slightly more technical basis, the vents in most modern pre-fab fireplaces are designed to cool the firebox itself and not the chimney or other places. I agree that you do not want to seal them off, but at the same time you are placing two additional steel walls inside of the two walls of your ZC. In other words, heat radiating from the insert would VASTLY less than that from an open fire in the same fireplace.

In my opinion, the best ZC installation (using an approved insert) is one without any panels at all, since this gives you more heat from your stove and also keeps the unit extremely cool. If panels are used, the instructions for the particular unit should be followed...and I assume none of them tell you to fit panels tight over the cooling vents.

Reactions: jerrodlk
Status
Not open for further replies.