Heat deflection walls/ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I found a one-stop method for providing a heat deflection system for areas near the stove. In my case, the concern was for the ceiling area above the stove and a wall located 33 inches in front of the stove. Both areas were wood beams, 2x4 and 2x10 structure. At my local Home Depot I picked up Hardie Board in 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick 3x5 boards. They also have a product located in the sheetrock supply area, intended for ceiling tile I believe, that is a 10 ft long metal beam shaped like a flanged channel. I used 1/4 inch Hardie Board against the beams, then ran the metal beams on the surface of those sheets, vertically oriented. I used 1/2 inch Hardie in front of the stove (seems to be quite hot there) and 1/4 above the stove, anchoring with long screws and finish washers through both sheets into the studs.

After a nice hot stove had run a while, the sheets in front of the stove were too hot to maintain hand contact with, but the back of the first corse of board was barely warm. The air gap between the sheets and the vertical channels they created, exhausted the heat very well. No concern on my part that I am baking my wood structure any longer. Sheets are made mostly of sand so they are quite temperature indifferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.