Heat Driven Stove Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CentralVAWoodHeat

Minister of Fire
Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has tried these heat driven, non-electric stove top fans. I just ordered one and am thinking it will help move warm air a bit better. We had an electric fan on an old stove of ours but this seems to be an easy, non-electric supplement. Any experience?

I am running two Ecofan 812 models on my free standing stove that is installed half into the fireplace for the second season. They don't move a ton of air but give me what I want which is to move some of the heat out of the fireplace out into the living space. They have eaten two motors so far so don't figure on long life. Replacement motors are around twenty bucks. But another moderator here got something like twelve years out of one before it died.

Most people don't like'em from what I read here and other places online. Well, except for Sterling engine powered ones but they are around $275. Which actually wouldn't been that much more than the two Ecofans I bought.

I've been using one for bout 3 years. Like BB said, they don't moe a ton of air but they do move some. So far we have not had any problems with ours, only time will tell.

Best wishes!

Bob

Our ecofan finally died after 13 yrs of service. The motor is still good but the TEG output has dropped a lot.

Our ecofan finally died after 13 yrs of service. The motor is still good but the TEG output has dropped a lot.

Might not be the TEG. That is what I thought with the first one and replaced the motor and it cranked right back up.

Could be right, the motor lasted many more seasons than expected. When on the 602 that baby would really sing.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like I'll get what I expected. I'm looking for some air movement in our sitting direction in our main room. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.