Heat Exchanger or auxilary water storage...one or the other?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty2

Mar 14, 2008
West Coast
I'm familiar with Seton/Greenwood style wood boilers with Heat exchanger...then to the radiant heat system. Do these type systems benefit from secondary water storage?
If so, would it be on the stove side of the heat exchanger?
Additionally, the current Greenwood states it's a gasification wood boiler...yet I don't see the secondary burn chamber in the schematic. What am I missing?
Regards, Scotty

Looks like they have a burn chamber above the fire. Updraft vs. downdraft. No idea how good that works, I don't think I saw a separate air feed for that spot.

Maintenance is fuzzy & you can't d/l a manual there. From the info on the website, they want an authorized dealer to do all boiler maintenance aside from ash removal - and I think maintenance issues were also a PITA with the earlier one & Setons. I think that tube area might be hard to keep clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.