Heat Exchanger Pump for DHW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

McKraut

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
South Central PA
This fall I am putting a heat exchanger on our DHW tank. What circulator pump would be appropriate for pumping tank water through the exchanger? The heat exchanger will be 4x12 20-plate and I assume that the pump will have to be brass. Any specific recommendations for the pump?

Thank you
Bob

Taco 007 brass or stainless is a good

Ideally go with one of the modern ECM pumps in Bronze, they are much more efficient and most come with built in programming modes to match the pump to the use. My guess with heat exchanger is set it up for delta T operation.

Reactions: sloeffle
Taco 007 brass or stainless is a good
Thanks for the recommendation. Is this the specific pump I am looking for?

Thank you,

Bob

Desktop.PNG

Ideally go with one of the modern ECM pumps in Bronze, they are much more efficient and most come with built in programming modes to match the pump to the use. My guess with heat exchanger is set it up for delta T operation.
Thank you for the reply, but I have no idea what you are recommending. Do you have a specific model/manufacturer that would work?

Bob

Capture1asdf.PNG

Is this what both of you (peakbagger and electrathon) are talking about? It looks like it would match both of your recommendations.

Thanks again,
Bob

Then that's what I'm looking for! I don't mind paying more up front if it's worth it in the long run. Thanks to both of you for your help and recommendations. I appreciate it.

Bob

Just make sure you buy a the stainless version.

Either bronze or stainless is good for drinking water. Make sure your pump comes with flanges, or order them when you order the pump. You will find them for less on eBay. I use a hydronic solar panel controller to cycle my pump, you will need something to turn it off and on.

I will buy the stainless steel model. I am going to put a heat sensor on the tank (against the tank) and hook up to the Tekmar controller.

Thank you,
Bob

Any benefit using the B&G Ecocirc over the Taco 007e?

Bob

My guess is its Ford/Chevy argument. Both good names that were dragged screaming and kicking into the Electronically Commutated Motor (ECM) world by European efficiency standards. Their old single speed products were not efficient enough to sell in Europe so they came out with ECM pumps and then started selling them in the US. The trade off is both have microprocessors that drive the motors so they have higher potential of being bad out of the box or getting zapped by a power surge.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
Any benefit using the B&G Ecocirc over the Taco 007e?

Bob
Don't know. I know nothing about the Taco and not in a spot to Google it up right now. Maybe compare specs? But the local supplier could get me the B&G real quick and I liked what I read about it. 11 years later and it's still working as new. I liked the variable speed dial it has - just set the speed to what works and forget about it. Not sure if the Taco has that? Its tiny and uses next to no electricity.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Thank you for your reply. I will look at this too. I need to decide sometime in the next week or two. It is getting colder outside and I know that I can't put it off for long.

Bob

Grunfoss makes a ECM type as well.Mine is going on 12 years,the rest of my pumps are at 13 years all Grundfoss

OK, thanks. I still haven't gotten around to buying anything.

Bob