Heat exchanger tubing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I'm sure this has been addressed but I'm having trouble sorting through all the threads.
I want to build a copper coil type HX similar to what STSS offers. The TARM guy recommended two 120' coils. From my reading this is 3/4 type L tubing, 22" dia and 43" high. Where is the cheapest place to get this tubing? Does it connect directly to regular 3/4" copper pipe? From the pic I can see it looks like it does i.e. sweat fittings not compression fittings.
It looks like I would want to form it on a mandrel, then tack solder the vertical pieces for rigidity. Does anyone have an idea how much springback to allow for if any?

More questions to follow.

Thanks

Greg H

Greg H said:
I'm sure this has been addressed but I'm having trouble sorting through all the threads.
I want to build a copper coil type HX similar to what STSS offers. The TARM guy recommended two 120' coils. From my reading this is 3/4 type L tubing, 22" dia and 43" high. Where is the cheapest place to get this tubing? Does it connect directly to regular 3/4" copper pipe? From the pic I can see it looks like it does i.e. sweat fittings not compression fittings.
It looks like I would want to form it on a mandrel, then tack solder the vertical pieces for rigidity. Does anyone have an idea how much springback to allow for if any?

More questions to follow.

Thanks

Greg H

I used standard 3/4" soft copper and coiled it around a mandrel that I made out of plywood disks and 2x2s. I used 1/2 hard copper for vertical supports. lashed on with copper wire and then soldered. No springback - I used a larger mandrel than the original diameter of the col it came on. Mechanical precision is not necessary in any event.

Status
Not open for further replies.