Heat for basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
I am in the process of finishing off my basement (2" rigid foam + drywall) and need to figure out my heat down there. I have a 1600 sq foot log cabin that I heat with a wood insert in the main level. The finished basement will be about 750 sq ft.

There is an existing Fisher Mama Bear stove in the basement. My heating options are to keep the Fisher, replace with a newer EPA model stove and flue liner, or go with an alternative heat source (not sure I want to deal with operating two wood heating devices in my house).

Does anyone have any experience using a LP space heater in a basement. I could easily run a line from a 100lb tank outside to the basement. Do these heaters smell or create a lot of moisture? It is so dry in the winter, a little moisture wouldn't be a bad thing.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

What about a vented, direct vent gas stove? All exhaust is expelled from the home, and you have a nice thing to look at, plus lots of heat. Probably looking at like 70%+ efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.