Heat from chimney enclosure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
I just install a new metal prefab 6 in chimney that replace the old 8in. I installed the new 6in with all the saftey shields, attic shield, floor /ceiling support. Where the chimney runs through the upper bedroom it was enclosed on all four sides, approx. measurement of chase is about 23"x25". In the chase , all the heat from the chimney is building up. They say that in living areas the chase must be enclosed, so it is, but up in the attic,is not. I put just alittle insulation around the attic shield. What do I do about all the heat building up in the chase? Im just worried that it will get too HOT in chase and cause a PROBLEM!

When I took down the old 8", it was an accident waiting to happen! The seems where leaking, the inside seems where bent inward and one pipe had about 10 to15 quarter size bumps all over it. Maybe the previous owner had a fire? anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far. I have been learning alot form everyone.

Thanks Frank

So long as you have all of your clearances to combustibles and have installed the chimney exactly to manufacturers instruction you have nothing to worry about. Chimney systems are thoroughly tested to their clearances. So long as you have properly installted everything the chimney will cool itself just fine with the airspace recommended by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.