HEAT FROM LINER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy700

Oct 23, 2014
ca
I've read on this forum about the need for a block off plate and/or insulation around the flue area. Well my installer did neither,how important is it to have this installed? When I asked the dealer why one wasn't installed, he told me that the heat from the liner has to escape and it would not be safe to block it? ...advice
I have a regency h2100

Reactions: wildwildwest
Really? Has to escape or what? The liner is designed for high temp. Not an issue.

Not an expert on inserts here, but I believe that a block off plate is to prevent warm room air from escaping up the chimney, and and liner insulation is to allow the liner to keep enough heat to prevent creosote buildup.

Block off plates sometimes are custom built depending on the specific arrangement, so many installers avoid it unless paid the extra expense. No excuse for not installing liner insulation which is easy enough (given that there is enough space).

Thanks guys, I figured he was giving me B.S.,I got the notion that he was thinking the liner could get hot enough to cause a house fire, if the flue area was blocked. I'll just get some insulation and do it myself, at least they insulated the top of the chimney.

I'll defer to the insert and flue experts, but It sounds like Roxul insulation is what to look at to use, and if you're handy, you can probably fabricate a block off plate if you need it. You'll want to keep room air from escaping.

I'll defer to the insert and flue experts, but It sounds like Roxul insulation is what to look at to use, and if you're handy, you can probably fabricate a block off plate if you need it. You'll want to keep room air from escaping.
I'll just do the Roxul for now, since I'm not very good with cutting sheet metal. Also the chimney is on the interior wall in the garage.

I've read on this forum about the need for a block off plate and/or insulation around the flue area.
Can anyone describe what a block off plate looks like? We have a damper above a heatform fireplace. I can't get a tape measure up there but I can see there is atleast a few inches around the damper narrower than the flue. thanks! Can I use Roxule around the new flex SS liner (insulated)

Can anyone describe what a block off plate looks like? We have a damper above a heatform fireplace. I can't get a tape measure up there but I can see there is atleast a few inches around the damper narrower than the flue. thanks! Can I use Roxule around the new flex SS liner (insulated)
I'm just a newbie but I believe a block off plate is, a fabricated piece of metal to fit around your chimney liner.
Hopefully someone else can chime in with more help/exp.

I'll just do the Roxul for now, since I'm not very good with cutting sheet metal. Also the chimney is on the interior wall in the garage.

I just did this. Pick up a pair of good tin snips and the sheet metal cutting is trivial. Also, wear gloves. :)

If you do this project one step at a time, it's very straightforward. Stuff the Roxul, make a cardboard template, transfer outline to sheetmetal, cut sheetmetal, bend sheetmetal using wood blocks, spray paint black with high temp paint (optional), drill holes for tap con screws, mount, open beer.

Remember to leave extra room on your sheetmetal for the mounting lips. Also, I made my blocking plate in two pieces so I could install it around the liner.

HTH!

I just did this. Pick up a pair of good tin snips and the sheet metal cutting is trivial. Also, wear gloves. :)

If you do this project one step at a time, it's very straightforward. Stuff the Roxul, make a cardboard template, transfer outline to sheetmetal, cut sheetmetal, bend sheetmetal using wood blocks, spray paint black with high temp paint (optional), drill holes for tap con screws, mount, open beer.

Remember to leave extra room on your sheetmetal for the mounting lips. Also, I made my blocking plate in two pieces so I could install it around the liner.

HTH!
thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.