Heat & Glo Wood burners should called Heat & Cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ron Kuhn

Nov 10, 2019
Minnesota
Help!!!I have two new Heat & Glo wood burner model # S. Both are causing cool air to be drawn down and into the house.. What a nightmare. I am being told it is because of the cold air kit that was required for this unit...neither the manufacturer or the dealer is interested in helping with this issue..
Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be addressed?

Are these used for heating the home? If not, how about a chimney pillow or chimney balloon to close off the flue?

Not being a smart-a$$ here, but I'd put an OAK on em.
First, I'd try to identify ALL the areas where you're getting
air penetration & button them up.
It's either that or deal with drafts..

If these are both cantilevered or have external chases, I’d bet there’s no insulation behind the fireplace or a draftstop above the unit. I’d put money on it. We see it all the time.

These require a combustion air kit. Hopefully it was used.
Cold air is allowed to fall down around the air cooled pipe. They make an optional chimney air kit that helps contain all this cooling air and seals up pretty nice, rarely is it ever used though.

OK. Not sure which model(s) he's got, but Northstars use BOTH CAK & OAK...
With all the cold air, and 2 of them I assumed they are builder grade boxes.

Are these used for heating the home? If not, how about a chimney pillow or chimney balloon to close off the flue?
[/QUOTE
If these are both cantilevered or have external chases, I’d bet there’s no insulation behind the fireplace or a draftstop above the unit. I’d put money on it. We see it all the time.
This is a new home, and yes there is proper insulation behind both units.. I am being told that the Cold Weather Kit HG recommended in their owners manually is the issue.
I learned after the fact/installation that they offer two options for the Flu/Piping. The option I was told I need to solve this issue is their insulated piping system/option..

You personally saw the insulated wall, floor (if it’s cantilevered) and a draft stop?
who’s telling you about an insulated chimney option? The chimney air kit is all I’m familiar with.

With all the cold air, and 2 of them I assumed they are builder grade boxes.
These are both NorthStar Model (S) and yes both are builder grand
Again new home air teat
You personally saw the insulated wall, floor (if it’s cantilevered) and a draft stop?
who’s telling you about an insulated chimney option? The chimney air kit is all I’m familiar with.
Both units are placed on the main floor and the basement is also heated...and yes, I am 100% sure it is all insulted correctly...It is so cold that there is frost on the face of both units....

These are both NorthStar Model (S) and yes both are builder grand

Again new home air teat

Both units are placed on the main floor and the basement is also heated...and yes, I am 100% sure it is all insulted correctly...It is so cold that there is frost on the face of both units....
The reason I ask is because proper insulation is Almost always overlooked. Most often it’s a proper draft stop that’s over looked.