heat index 111 and climbing and I ran the saw!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefus78

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2010
Just Outside Indy
99.3 in the shade currently and I just got done removing 35 overgrown bushes for a customer! 14 bottles of water so far and I'm still thirsty. Did I mention I got to dig the stumps out too? I love my job. Rant over. That is all.

Suck it up butter cup! Better hurry it's going to get warmer as it goes.... ;-)

About 3.5 miles from the ocean, and it is 96 degrees. In our second floor family room, it is 106.

I was gonna go outside and split some, but I think I'm gonna go into the basement and sit in the coolest corner I can find.

Take it easy and keep sucking the water down. It is HOT today.

FWIW don't drink straight water, drink Gatorade mixed 50/50 with water. My doctor told me you need salt and sugar as well as water in order to rehydrate. And stay away from alcohol, it dehydrates you even more no matter how good it tastes going down.

If you are too cheap to buy Gatorade, make your own rehydration drink. Add some lemon juice to it and you have a tasty, refreshing beverage for next to nothing.

1 quart water
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon table salt
3 to 4 tablespoons sugar or honey

Getting severely dehydrated and running a chainsaw just don't mix. With dehydration comes weakness, lightheadedness, reduced coordination, slower reflexes and mental confusion. Keep up the hydration the whole time to be safe.

Battenkiller said:
FWIW don't drink straight water, drink Gatorade mixed 50/50 with water. My doctor told me you need salt and sugar as well as water in order to rehydrate. And stay away from alcohol, it dehydrates you even more no matter how good it tastes going down.

If you are too cheap to buy Gatorade, make your own rehydration drink. Add some lemon juice to it and you have a tasty, refreshing beverage for next to nothing.

1 quart water
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon table salt
3 to 4 tablespoons sugar or honey

Getting severely dehydrated and running a chainsaw just don't mix. With dehydration comes weakness, lightheadedness, reduced coordination, slower reflexes and mental confusion. Keep up the hydration the whole time to be safe.

Yea well hes Not going to avoid the alcohol part.....LOL Hes sweats bucket when its 20 degrees out and a nice north western breeze..... ;-)

Beer hasn't even sounded good for a week. Nothing but water and gatotade.

Fwiw, jays right...I sweat standing still in the winter.....The girl calls me the portable furnace.....she never gets cold when I'm around LOL

Well I was all set to declare you a crazy bastard, but seeing how it's your job I'll just say congrats on not passing-out! Keep pumping the fluids. I just finished a short day of light outdoor work and it took me nearly 2 gallons to get from 7am to 2pm.

Bocefus78 said:

Fwiw, jays right...I sweat standing still in the winter.....The girl calls me the portable furnace.....she never gets cold when I'm around LOL

No beer now that is crazy! :cheese:

No matter how hot it gets, I still gotta have my afternoon cup of HOT coffee.

And cooler days aren't too far off...

Attachments

• IMG_0514 COMP.jpg
    IMG_0514 COMP.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 320
Its now triple digits! And index 120....WootWoooot...Hope you got it done! ;-)

Battenkiller said:
With dehydration comes weakness, lightheadedness, reduced coordination, slower reflexes and mental confusion. Keep up the hydration the whole time to be safe.

That's why I enjoy alcohol! hahaha

I was out at 730 this morning running the bird dogs and it was already 86 out.

smokinjay said:

Local town named Cohoes is reporting 105.3º and heat index of 125º! That's the highest I ever seen in these parts. I been drinking beer to stay hydrated... sitting here by the computer directly in front of the AC. lol

blowell said:
No matter how hot it gets, I still gotta have my afternoon cup of HOT coffee.

I am with ya on that. just finishing up my 2nd.

I like beer pretty much anytime too.. LOL

Yes, some things just need to be done, weather be damned! :coolsmile:

blowell said:

Yes, some things just need to be done, weather be damned! :coolsmile:

Just set on our after work/dinner pot now... Gotta have some Joe.

Shawn

smokinjay said:
haha now you got what I've had for the past 6 days - only 88 here right now,did more today than I had in past 5 days.Humidity really dropped today also,even with a light shower overnight - just a trace but first rain in almost 3 weeks.

Its amazing how much more energy you got when its 89 compared to 99.I sweat out buckets when its 40 out anyway unless I'm standing still,which aint very often :lol: Now they say mid 90's for next few days again,way less humid supposedly.

smokinjay said:
Bocefus78 said:

No beer now that is crazy! :cheese:

Beer in the evening,with or after dinner once I'm all cleaned up & relaxing near the AC.I can take the heat (to a point) during the day,but I need it cool so I can sleep good at night.

I need it cool so I can sleep good at night.

I second, third, and fourth that!! My wife comes into the bedroom during the summer with her winter jammies I keep it so cold.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
haha now you got what I've had for the past 6 days - only 88 here right now,did more today than I had in past 5 days.Humidity really dropped today also,even with a light shower overnight - just a trace but first rain in almost 3 weeks.

Its amazing how much more energy you got when its 89 compared to 99.I sweat out buckets when its 40 out anyway unless I'm standing still,which aint very often :lol: Now they say mid 90's for next few days again,way less humid supposedly.

Been the same here to just much more entertaining when Bocefus78 doing the work... ;-)

Good luck with those bushes. This time of year the two things I wouldn't want to be is a landscaper or an AC guy, not much of a break for them. Working on the roads don't sound too fun either although I'm a baker and I started and finished HOT! I'm looking forward to fall, that's for sure. Keep it safe everyone.

Main thing is to stay hydrated,take breaks & if working alone make sure cell phone is handy.Find a bit of shade and/or a cool spot if possible.

Slooooow down & pay attention to how your body reacts.Just be careful everybody!

The thing I hate the most about running a saw in these temps are that you just get a major coating of dirt and sawdust all over. The sweat just acts as a glue that makes that stuff cling where it would otherwise brush or fall right off.

Danno77 said:
The thing I hate the most about running a saw in these temps are that you just get a major coating of dirt and sawdust all over. The sweat just acts as a glue that makes that stuff cling where it would otherwise brush or fall right off.

Yep yep, and very easy to flood one as well. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.