Heat Large house Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the inspector has signed off and the job is done in a professional manner with installation requirements for the stove and chimney met, then hopefully they will be satisfied. Ask them? Some insurance companies are sticklers and some are fairly easy going.

Conduction is the mechanism of radiant heating. A more specific word for the same principle.

Sorry J, Seasoned is right. What you are calling conduction is in fact radiation.

I think you are an engineer by degree like me? Remember heat transfer class in school - there are three modes of moving heat:

1 Radiation - The direct beaming of heat as electromagnetic energy from one object to another. This is how the sun heats the earth and is what you "see" on an IR camera.

2 Conduction - The transfer of heat between 2 objects in direct physical contact. The higher energy atoms in the hot object bump into and excite the lower energy atoms in the cool object.

3 Convection - The transfer of heat via a moving fluid. Can be foced (fan) or natural (gravity). IN natural convection the hot object heats air - which expands, rises and draws in more cool air, which in turn heats continuing the cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer#Mechanisms

All of our woodstoves heat by all 3 means -radiation , convection and conduction.

You are correct. My memory never has been good. ;lol Sorry, Seasoned Oak!

No problem. I think I remember seeing you mention someplace you guys where expecting a new family addition any day (congrats if so) - you can blame lack of sleep ;)

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks! Yep... girl, July 5.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374064744.439237.jpg

Tapatalk... I can type from the sh*tter! ;lol

Actually, almost no time for the hearth from home, but I spend much of my work day waiting on computer simulations, which gives me time to browse.

Congratulations!!

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.