Q&A Heat loss comparisons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I haven't been able to find anything on your web site that gives the results of heat loss comparison tests. What I'm looking for is a comparison of the amount of heat loss vs gain when using:
1) an open fireplace
2) a fireplace with an insert that has doors (glass or otherwise)
3) a fireplace with an insert that's using outside air for combustion

It seems I've read that the efficiency of the "outside air" system is significant but I can't find anything that states just how much more efficient it is.

Answer:

This stuff is discussed in certain articles and Q and A's, but here's a quickie.

Open fireplace - about 0-15% efficient, sometimes even negative
Newer Fireplace Insert - EPA approved - 60-75% Efficient
Outside Air - No increase in efficiency.

Outside air helps a lot with open fireplaces, since these use a large quantity of air. It may also help a small amount (less than 5%) with stoves, however sometimes the cold air introduction from outside can lower the combustion efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.